Polk Moniter 40 Crossover Upgrade

Options
Polk&Beans
Polk&Beans Posts: 94
edited August 2013 in Speakers
Figured I would post this in HT/Speaker thread for you HT guys.

Got these to augment my RTi's upfront. They are not too shabby. Good for 90-21Khz.

Soon I will have pairs of 6.5 incher's and 5.25 incher's up front for 2 channel mode.

That should cover the audio spectrum.

The caps are just about all that's worth upgrading on the XO considering their price.

Reinforcing the cabinet sides with 1x2 stringers and a cross-brace, centered behind the tweeter.

Will add to the sides; 2 patches of .25" foam and that should make em good for 20 years.

Caps are exact values as measured from OE's: Solon 9.1uf=LP, Dayton/Bennic 8.2 & 2.2uf=HP

The XO board & curcuit is pretty much the standard since the RT35/55/80 days.

Comes out parallel to the woofers like the RTi8's tho.

I am guessing the 8.2 & 2.2 MP's will tame the tweeter a little bit.

Enjoy Your Polks.

M40-1.jpg
M40-2.jpg
Post edited by Polk&Beans on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!

So "how" do they sound with the new caps in them as opposed to stock? What improvements do you hear?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Polk&Beans
    Polk&Beans Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! cnh!

Even thou I am not really new. Been 5 or 6 years since I was on here. Forgot password and call sign.

Can’t tell ya yet, how they sound except pretty clear and different mid-range (Compared to dual 6.5s) clarity and pretty bright tweeters, before dis-assembly. I decided to paint the front baffle black, (like the Series2 since they are Cherry) BEFORE I mounted the braces… The paint is too soft for my older shakey hands to take chances with them. Or is it the coffee? 8^)

I want to re-phrase one thing, after close inspection the coils are pretty good quality for this price of speaker. The HP is an "air" coil, no bobbin, the LP is your typical Polk XO laminated steel, less the plastic case. Standard issue, wire-wound cement resistors. Not a bad start...

I do like the compliment of dual 5.25’s with my dual 6.5’s together in a brief listen. Might have too many tweeters in the mix though, but that can be solved, if that’s winds up being an issue.
    I will let you know my thoughts when they are back together. In the mean time, I can go ahead and build some Cherry stands to match the height of my RTi towers.

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME! ENJOY YOUR POLKS!
    Pablo
  • Canadianguy55
    Options
    Hi.......i know this is a old post....but do you have any pics of the high pass crossover that you upgraded inside the M40"s?

Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Last active 2 yrs ago..... doubt he has his ears on.