Two 202's as good s one 303?

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
My receiver allows one subwoofer up front and allows a sub woofer in the rear (instead of 2 rear surrounds in 7.1). There would still be two side surrounds.

Does anyone know if using two 202's (one front and one back) would perform as well as just one 303 up front??

TIA
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2004
    Options
    depends on size of room, placement, calibration etc.... how big is the room they will we in? as far as more bass you probably will yeild more but if you are a perfectionist on calibration (w/ spl meter) then hope you have some free time to fiddle, adjust, move here move there and so on. I tried all that w/ my 2 subs and end result was stacking them then corner. I beleive you yeild a +2 db just for stacking if im not mistaken

spaz
    Life without music would
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I'd rather have the 303 since it isn't as sloppy as the 202.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by spasticpitbull
    I beleive you yeild a +2 db just for stacking if im not mistaken
    spaz

Stacking two like subwoofers will yield a 6 dB increase in volume (assuming they both get the same strength signal and they are both set to the same amp volume level).
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2004
    Options
    hell even better. thx spec
    Life without music would
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by mgd99
    My receiver allows one subwoofer up front and allows a sub woofer in the rear (instead of 2 rear surrounds in 7.1). There would still be two side surrounds.TIA
    The second sub is not a replacement or substitution for rear 6/7 channel setup. But it does add some flexability. Does your reciever really have two sub outs that say SUB FRONT and SUB REAR? Never heard of this........
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Scott

Yes. The Pioner VSX-D912k allows a sub of front and in 7.1, instead of 2 side surrounds and 2 back surrounds, you can substitute a sub for the 2 back surrounds (you just have to tell the receiver there is one sub replacing the 2 back surrounds)