setup advice

paul mx3
paul mx3 Posts: 22
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
at the moment hy system consists of a kenwood z920dvd h/u...alpine h700 processor...jl 500/1 running poll mm100 sub....i have a set of mm455 comps and i want to biamp them ....i have a jl 300/2 and a us amps 600tu......i know its slightly overkill with the amps but i want plenty of headroom.....do you think the us amps tube amp would be better to run the mids possibly giving a more mellow sound and the jl 300/2 on the tweets.....also what crossover frequencies do you find seems to work better with the mm455 comps...
Post edited by paul mx3 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    sounds ridiculous to me... that's way too much power... a 90 x 4 would be better for the bi-amping... running straight something like 150 or so is peachy keen.

i think you've got a good idea, but the whole "use whatever is laying around" method never works well for that.

use teh 300/2 for the mids.... get another amp (preferably JL so they all match) that's like 75 x 2 or 90 x 2 to run teh tweets off of... make it all pimp dude...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • paul mx3
    paul mx3 Posts: 22
    edited January 2004
    that was my origonal plan...but my thinking regarding the us 600 tube amp is that im hoping if i run that on the mids it should hopefully give a lightly more mellow sound to the mids...like i said i know its complete overkill with the amount of power at my disposal using these amps but im aiming for an sq setup and i want to run the amps well under there capabilities....

my thinking is that origonally i was told by polk that the components would run well passively off the jl 300/2 but if i run it actively using what is in effect 2 150rms per channel amps im still basically giving them the same power?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I would say just run the comps off the 300/2. Its plenty powerful and plenty capable. Running it solely will sound just fine. JL are excellent SQ amps so you will be happy.

As far as I know, the only advantages to running bi-amped systems would be to get moer power or to crossover a particular amp to a specific frequency.

Having 300 watts to each left / right channel is total overkill. you would never even come close to using all that power. With the JL's 150 x 2 I doubt youd ever use anywhere close to all of it either, unless you were providing all the sound for a block party or something.

Try the 300/2 on the comps and see for yourself. I doubt youll be unhappy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D