Optimal Configuration - front speakers through the subwoofer?

Options
tezinatl
tezinatl Posts: 1
I've just purchased the Polk RM6700 system with the PSW202 sub-woofer. My receiver is an h/k 525.

The receiver owner's manual says to use the subwoofer output jack, but the polk manuals specifically say it's not recommended
for the RM6700 system.

Which hookup should I go with? I use it for music as well as movies...
Post edited by tezinatl on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Hi, Happy New Year, and welcome to the Polk Forum.

There are actually numerous threads about this topic. One was just recently here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14776

In general, most of us with the larger floorstanding speakers use small for all of our surrounds / mains and an 80 hz crossover and use the receiver LFE output to the sub.

However, with a smaller speaker like the RM6700, you may have to try both ways. The LFE method is preferred because it conserves some amplifier power but this may not be the best sound all of the time for a RM6700 setup. The issue is the midbass quality or lack of it in the 120 - 150 hz range. If your receiver has a 150 hz setting for the bass you can try this way. Otherwise if it ends at 120 hz you will have a 120 - 150 hz frequency "gap". I believe most people with the RM6700 are using the speaker level setup solution (Polk recommended method) to alleviate this problem.

Do a search for RM6700 and you will find plenty of reading on the topic and good luck with your setup.