To Mac guys, need a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter?

cnh
cnh Posts: 13,284
edited July 2013 in Going Digital
My daughter's two year old Macbook Pro 13" just had it's backlight go SOUTH! The video processing and card are fine so I figure, for now, I can have her use is as a desktop if I can get a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter. I can hook up an external LCD monitor without having to SPEND a FORTUNE for a MAC T-bolt dedicated monitor!

Would this adapter at Staples qualify? I already bought the larger mini-DVI to VGA only to find I mistook a Thunderbolt port for something else and I need to return that. The only other adapter they have is this one called a Mini-display port.

http://www.staples.com/Apple-Mini-DisplayPort-to-VGA-Adapter/product_164146

Obviously this is NOT a Thunderbolt port, but I read somewhere that one can have something that FITS a T-bolt port and still work as a monitor out cable. Like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/776939-REG/Xcellon_DPI_VGA_Mini_DisplayPort_to_VGA.html

Thanks, guys!

cnh
Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
[sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
Post edited by cnh on

Comments

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2013
    shouldn't need a thunderbolt, just get a mini display port to HDMI or VGA and use a different monitor. I use one on my Mac mini and macbook pro (bought 2012) and works fine.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited July 2013
    But a thunderbolt display is soooooo pretty!
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2013
    I'd run it in to an Apple store and see what they can do for you before you give up on the display completely.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2013
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    shouldn't need a thunderbolt, just get a mini display port to HDMI or VGA and use a different monitor. I use one on my Mac mini and macbook pro (bought 2012) and works fine.

Thanks!
    nguyendot wrote: »
    But a thunderbolt display is soooooo pretty!

They look great but don't have the coin at the moment.
    I'd run it in to an Apple store and see what they can do for you before you give up on the display completely.

I'm not giving up on the laptop yet, but I just want a temporary fix so she can use it till I see what possible repairs might cost?

Thanks to everyone! Looks like I'm off to return the mini-dvi for a mini-display port to VGA.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]