HU Alipne CDA-9815 Opinion

geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Have somebody experience with this head unit? Are there some other options (brand) with similar features? My target is to spend arround $ 320. I can get this unit with a local dealer (in Monterrey Mx.) for this price. Thanks for your help...

Info & Spec.
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CDA-9815&p_category=10&p_subcategory=20&p_main=10
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    I recently purchased a 9805 and am 110% satisfied. I've been an Eclipse customer for the past 10 years and bought the 9805 because I wanted a cheap head unit for my truck that had XM capability. Much to my suprise this $190 unit gives my $450 Eclipse CD5442 a run for the money. This proves again that the price of a piece of gear now a days does not really reflect possible quality. I experienced the same thing when I got my Polk db650's for $100, they come darn close to my Boston Pros that were $465. The 9815 is the same base unit with a few more bells and whistles and I'm sure it would be just fine.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    im not a big fan of alpine, but ive many great things about the 9815
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2003
    I run the 7894 in my car,,,and the 7809 in the wifes...wich replaced the 7893 wich died..and has since been replaced by alpine ...

I have been nothing but pleased with the Alpines...this after running clarion for last 6yrs
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    Well, the Alpine is a nice unit. I think if that is you choice, stick with it. But if you want comparisons, here is some of it's competion in similar price points.

The Clarion ProAudio DXZ835MP is a very nice reciever too. Very clean presentation but the buttons are small and the backlighting doesn't always work well with most interiors.

The Kenwood KDC-MP822 and Kenwood KDC-MP922 are pretty much the same unit with a few different features but basically the same. These are very nice units and the only problem I have with them is the flip-down face plate that sticks out while the unit is playing. I see it breaking way too easily.

The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X969 is a spectacular reciever and IMO, is a better reciever than the Alpine and I'd go with that if it weren't for that damn flip down face again.

The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X579 is similar to the one above and has no flip down face. However, it's specs are lacking compared to the X969 from Kenwood and the Alpine you listed. It is a viable alternative but I think the Alpine is a better buy.

This Panasonic MXE CQ-DFX983U has gotten good reviews and has nice specs. It's a little too flashy for my tastes and my experience with Panasonic car audio has been lackluster. It seems manufactured. There is no soul, no life, no feeling to the sound from Panasonic stuff IMO and that would sway me away from it completely. But it is an alternative.

This Pioneer DEH-P7500MP is an extremely nice unit also. I'd put it on the level of the Kenwoods above and the Alpine you posted. It has an incredible amount of adjustability too. It's a nice unit and worth consideration.

There area few other Pioneer units that are worth looking at too but they are above your price range or too far below to be adequate comparisons.

I would go with that Alpine you listed, the Pioneer above or one of the Kenwood units. If you already have the Alpine than keep it because it certainly is a good unit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Personally, I think that in the $320 range, anything you buy from a major name, will be good. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine et al make very good stuff and their $300+ stuff is very good.

Me? I love Alpine and have been very satisfied with mine. I highly recommend them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    id go with pioneer
    at least you dont have to buy a 10 gauge wiring kit for the thing....
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    edited January 2004
    Thanks everbody!!
    I'll try this Alpine unit in my system. I think it will work 1000's times better than the original chrysler HU. I'm working in the installation of my equipment, it is so hard but I love it. The main problem is time to do the things, but I hope to finish in the next 2 o 3 weeks.
    Regarding the 10ga wire, I think it is the minor issue to be worried. If you can install 1/0 ga wires, distibution blocks, fuses, amps, RCA's cables, etc. for your amps, Why not buy and install one more simple 10ga wire for your HU? just peanuts!!

I saw the Apline CD charger also to complete the system and I will go with the CHA-S634 unit. Advantages are the Ai-NET feature it is just one cable to control the unit and it plays MP3 for $177.

Happy New Year 2004 for everybody!!

-GLopez
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    where did you find that for $177?????:eek:
  • geralopez
    edited January 2004
    With a local dealer in Monterrey Mexico.
    I have it now in my hands, I bought it some hours ago and of course it is brand new in a sealed box and warranty.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    i buy most of my alcohol in mexico, i might start going there for my audio as well...
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    cody - u do know your parents picked u up from some roaming gypsies in mexico, right? heh heh heh
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    yeah...the kids are cheaper in mexico too...lol
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    edited January 2004
    I don't know but some times I find here some items cheaper than in the USA, some times are close the same price if you add the shipping charges, trips to go to the border (meals, gas, highways fees, etc.) from Mty. to McAllen.

I bought all my speakers in USA because here were so expensive. I bought all the rest of my stuff here in Mty., Mx.
  • geralopez
    edited January 2004
    By the way!! I have 3 kids in stock at good price, they are in good shape. A little bit hyperactive but you can control them.
    cheap, cheap, cheap...

Warranty?? No way, no refunds, no claims...
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2004
    You should love the Alpine. I'm running the 9805 and have had it for about 3 weeks now. It's a solid unit. I wasn't too big in the flip down face which is why I went with the 9805 over the other models. I wanted MP3 capability pretty badly but I chose reliability over that feature. I do plan on getting a 6 disc changer in the very near future and that will have the MP3 capability for sure.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Digital
    Digital Posts: 5
    edited January 2004
    I have this HU in my car and it's fantastic. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find something better.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Digital
    I have this HU in my car and it's fantastic. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find something better.
    unless you go with pioneer:)
    sorry...couldnt help it
    theres 3 main companies id buy a head unit from...and alpine isnt one of them
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    unless you go with pioneer:)
    sorry...couldnt help it
    theres 3 main companies id buy a head unit from...and alpine isnt one of them
    -Cody

Why?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    they seem to skip more than other brands when going over bumps
    ive heard their preamp outputs arent very good and let noise in
    most of the ppl i know that have em have had problems with them
    certain buttons not working...certain part of the screens blacking out
    i think its ridiculous that u have to have a 10 gauge wiring kit for the 9815
    but i do like the 9827
    its an awesome hu for the price range its in
    other than that...
    lets compare
    the pioneer 8500MP to the alpine 7897
    on crutchfield...the pioneer goes for $500...the 7897 for 550
    i know you can get them both cheaper else where...but there will always be the $50 price difference
    pioneer puts out 22 watts rms compared to the alpines 20
    to me...irrelevant...pioneer could just measure their rms power differently
    both have 3 4 volt pre outs
    pioneer has an organic EL display compared to the alpines regular display theyve had for 15 years
    the pioneer you can change the button colors b/t blue and green...alpine only green
    who cares?...i dont
    pioneer has 3 EQ bands compared to the alpines 5
    BUT u can customize much more with the pioneer than you can with the alpine
    both have wireless remotes and cd changer controls
    security: alpine has realized most ppl are too lazy to detach the face plate off of their HU's so they made theirs camoflauged....correct me if im wrong but i think it flips over and its all black
    pioneer has the standard removable face plate
    what alpine didnt realize is that its very easy to tell if its "camoflauged" b/c face plates that you can remove have a port you can visibly see...
    any half way smart thief knows this...
    so i give the pioneer a heads up on this one
    sound processor
    alpine has the bass engine pro....pioneer has the easy eq...i prefer the easy eq having dealt with both...buts its debateable
    both have 1 yr warranties
    pioneer has the supertuner3, alpine has the maxtunesq
    most ppl agree that the st3 is better...it gets better reception and its clearer
    pioneer has better FM sensitivity...meaning itll get better reception
    pioneer as more fm presets...i dont use all of mine...im sure you dont use all of yours...but if ya do...the pioneer has more...both have 6 am presets
    alpine blows pioneer away in the cd-singal to noise category
    both play mp3s
    pioneer plays wma's as well...alpine doesnt
    all in all: pioneers specs edge out the alpines
    mind you the alpine is $50 more expensive
    but specs do not tell it all
    from personal experience...alpines just dont hold up as well as pioneers do
    pioneers have more options and more ways to customize your sound
    generally, theyre easier to use too
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Im on my first Alpine. Ive mostly used Kenwoods in the past but have always wanted to try an Alpine.

The only problem Ive had so far is under certain circumstances, when you adjust the volume there is a little pop for each number you go up. Not very loud but still there. This concerns me a bit. Other than that, Ive not had any problems. I havent heard this thing skip once and all the functions work fine.

I dont know if Im gonna stay with them forever tho. I had problems with all my Kenwoods starting to skip a lot after a year or two so I doubt Ill go back to them. I also had a Sony which wasnt that great either. I may try a Pioneer or a Clarion once this thing kicks the bucket.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    amazing...I have 3 alpines. 7894...over 1.5yrs..never a problem (knock on wood)...the 7894 fried..but so did the pac os-1 onstar adapter..not sure wich fault is was...+ the idiots i let actually install the hu..did not leave the fuse on the power wire (why..hell i dont know) and have had the 9807 in the wifes for 6months now..no issues

I have heard folks having issues with alpine...but never met one
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Oh dont get me wrong. I love my Alpine. The little cracklin is the only issue Ive come across and its not that big a deal. The sound quality is better than the previous head I had (Sony) and it looks cool as hell. I also have 2 of their amps (V Power). They arent very powerful but are clean as a whistle and as accurate as Ive ever heard. Im a big fan of Alpine!

• sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    theyre not horrible...but ive just made a decision through personal experience
    if i couldnt get an eclipse, nakamichi, or pioneer, i might look at an alpine for their higher end units...anything below the 9827 id probably lean towards kenwood excelron
    a lot of ppl have the alpine screens in their car so i guess they have to be doing something right...unless its all hype like JL
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    There you go with that JL bashing again! LOL ;)

Ive always wanted a Denon just cause theyre supposed to be the best things ever. They have a cool look to them. Kind of a "sleeper" vibe going.

I think Eclipse makes some awesome heads but they just down right homely. I dont know who designs those things but he should be taken out in the street and horse whipped. Then take him out and get him laid. For Gods sake man, put some color on those things! Do something to make them easier to look at!

• geralopez
    edited January 2004
    What about the special features of this head unit?
    Some of them are:
    6 Channels Time correction, 5 band Parametric EQ, Crossover Control, i-Personalize. I have not installed already my HU, but I think these tools can help you a lot to set-up your sound.

-GLopez
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Yikes! That makes my eyes cross!

I dont care much for time correction. Its great if you are the only one in the car I guess but what about passnegers?

I do like the EQ though. I wish mine had that. Those are useful and pretty much any nitwit can operate one.....like me! :D

• sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    glopez,
    pioneer has similar controls
    my pioneer has more options than ive had time to really play with
    it has an "auto-equalizer"
    not really sure of the mechanics behind it...but it sounds cool....lol
    u hook up a microphone to the HU(comes with it) and put in the drivers seat
    2 minutes later...voila
    i need to do that
    ive been waiting to get another tweeter...i have it...now im waiting to stop being lazy
    -Cody
  • geralopez
    edited January 2004
    Passengers? It's easy, you have 6 memories to change at any moment your settings, you can change time, EQ and X-over and make any combination as your convenience. If you drive alone, one preset can be used to satisfy yours needs.
    I'm not vs. any other brand, in fact it is my 1st. serious HU. Before I used always the original car HU's. I will test all their features and, if there is a chance, I will share my experience later with this unit.
    Regarding passengers, I'm confused with this comment, since I start looking to select my equipment, I reed a lot of comments in this forum about if is necessary to install the rear speaker or not. PBD wrote me a comment in some thread, that is better to leave the back deck with the holes open. You most focus focus you sound image in front of you but, here comes my question. What about rear passengers? Ok, they can listen the front speakers but not with the same quality as the front seats. I have a big ship ( a 300M) and the rear seats most be covered with similar image as the front. I have 2 MM6 components, one to the front and one for the rear. I will try to adjust the sound to have similar image in both sides in one memory and while I alone I will set the other mem. to pass the image totally to the front.
    Well, I hope so... I can not see the end of the installation, it is so hard.

-GLopez
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    You can still have rear speakers just have them tuned down. I have a Ram Quad cab and use a 4 channel amp to power my speakers. I have my gain on the front channel set at the "noon" position and the rear set at "10 oclock". This way I dont really hear the back speakers at all. My rear seat passengers can and it still adds a bit of fill in the soundstage but it keeps everything up front.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    rear speakers? what are those...you talking about subs ?