PC to Oppo advice

Options
brgman
brgman Posts: 2,859
edited July 2013 in Going Digital
I had to upgrade my PC so after i transfer the crap i need from the old one i want to try it out as a "server".
I have a Touch setup already but just playing with this idea since i have so much music loaded on it.
My query is this-Do i want to use something like a Bel Canto uLink or MF V-Link from USB to SPDIF and then to the Oppo or am i adding a step i do not need.
I am thinking it will help the jitter if i use one but don't want to spend money on an unnecessary step.
Thoughts?
Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
Post edited by brgman on

Comments

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm assuming you have a 103 or 105. Just add an IP connection into your Oppo and use a program like J River to send along the tunes. In this way you don't even have to worry about the sound card quality.

The Oppo can by folder go thru music if you've got a screen attached to it, which is crude and slow. Or you can use an app on a smart phone as controller if you've got wireless. So the computer doesn't need to be in your listening area at all.

J River at something like $50 should be cheaper than any other method. If you don't have or want wireless, you could buy a dedicated remote control for J River. And if you've got wireless setup, you don't even need to have a cat connection handy to your Oppo as you can stream just fine.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • brgman
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have JRiver.
    In your opinion the Oppo will correct any jitter etc if i go straight in from the PC huh?
    I'll give it a go.
    And it is a 105
    Thanks

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The USB receiver on the Oppo is already pretty good, you'd have to spend some decent coin to get a real improvement. That said, I've found that network streaming is the way to go, eliminates that step entirely. If you have JRiver and a 105 and a wireless network then you already have everything you need for a great setup. Get JRiver and the Oppo on the same network and grab JRemote (if you have an iDevice otherwise google the Android app) and you're golden. Even if I had my media PC and the Oppo sitting right next to each other I'd still skip the USB route and stream over the network.
  • brgman
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The USB receiver on the Oppo is already pretty good, you'd have to spend some decent coin to get a real improvement. That said, I've found that network streaming is the way to go, eliminates that step entirely. If you have JRiver and a 105 and a wireless network then you already have everything you need for a great setup. Get JRiver and the Oppo on the same network and grab JRemote (if you have an iDevice otherwise google the Android app) and you're golden. Even if I had my media PC and the Oppo sitting right next to each other I'd still skip the USB route and stream over the network.

All great points but don't i max at 24 bit 96Hz over wifi?
    Plus i have another PC,2 IPads and occasional laptop on wifi so i think that would strain the signal.
    Maybe wrong.
    I have the Linksys EA4500 and i guess they are now into a newer "A" series router that gets mixed reviews.
    Thanks

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I suppose it depends on your network. I'm on an Airport Extreme router it i can stream 24/192 and even larger DSD files with no issues. That being said, you don't have to do wireless, and in fact I'm hardwired directly into my Oppo now just because I can.