Setup for my truck, DB6501, DB651, DB351

2StepsAhead
2StepsAhead Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Kenwood DNX6990HD head unit, I am planning to add two Polk DB6501's in the front doors, a DB351 for the center channel and two DB651's in the rear doors for the rear fill. Now my question is do I need an amp? I bought the head unit figuring it would help power a set of aftermarket speakers, not sure if I really 'need' more power. If so how many channels/power would I need? Not sure if I would run some type of bridged setup or if I would need a channel for each group of speakers.
Post edited by 2StepsAhead on

Comments

• EDUBAG
    EDUBAG Posts: 401
    edited June 2013
    I have a Kenwood DNX6990HD head unit, I am planning to add two Polk DB6501's in the front doors, a DB351 for the center channel and two DB651's in the rear doors for the rear fill. Now my question is do I need an amp? I bought the head unit figuring it would help power a set of aftermarket speakers, not sure if I really 'need' more power. If so how many channels/power would I need? Not sure if I would run some type of bridged setup or if I would need a channel for each group of speakers.

had a similar setup, db6501 and db651 on my truck, definelly need an external amp. the headunit will make them sound better than stock soeakers but no close to their potential
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL:
    KEF R300 THREE WAY BOOKSHELF GLOSS PIANO BLACK
    ROTEL RC 990BX PRE
    ROTEL RB 990BX AMP
    OPPO DV980 (AS CD PLAYER)
    PIONEER PL100 TURNTABLE WITH SHURE MX97E CART
    MIT EXP2 SPEAKER CABLES
  • 2StepsAhead
    2StepsAhead Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Ok so now my question is how do I get all 5 speakers amped? Do I need 5 channels? Can I run the front DB351 and DB6501's off one channel and then the back DB651's off another channel? I was thinking of grabbing an old Alpine PDX-5 so I can also power a new sub (just looking for a small 8in to replace the factory 8in JBL since it sounds shot after 100,000 miles) but wasnt sure how many channels I would really need.
  • EDUBAG
    EDUBAG Posts: 401
    edited June 2013
    Ok so now my question is how do I get all 5 speakers amped? Do I need 5 channels? Can I run the front DB351 and DB6501's off one channel and then the back DB651's off another channel? I was thinking of grabbing an old Alpine PDX-5 so I can also power a new sub (just looking for a small 8in to replace the factory 8in JBL since it sounds shot after 100,000 miles) but wasnt sure how many channels I would really need.

i would leave the center channel out of the equation then with a five channel amp power the four speakers and sub. trust me you will not miss the center channel
    HT:
    POLK AUDIO RTI4 FRONTS
    CSI3 CENTER
    DEF TECH PROMONITOR800 SURROUNDS
    PSW 125 SUB
    PIONEER ELITE AVR23TXH AVR
    APPLE TV 160GB
    PANASONIC BLURAY PLAYER
    50" PANASONIC PLASMA TCP50C2

2 CHANNEL:
    KEF R300 THREE WAY BOOKSHELF GLOSS PIANO BLACK
    ROTEL RC 990BX PRE
    ROTEL RB 990BX AMP
    OPPO DV980 (AS CD PLAYER)
    PIONEER PL100 TURNTABLE WITH SHURE MX97E CART
    MIT EXP2 SPEAKER CABLES
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2013
    Get a 4 channel amp. Put the front speakers on the front channel, bridge the back for a sub - don't get a center channel :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it