June 22 RAS / RAMC Meet

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
Been a while since the RAS and RAMC (Rockford Audio Society / Rockford Area Music Club) hooked up so I hosted a meet Saturday. The RAMC kind of morphed out of the RAS events. Instead of comparing gear all day and playing the same song 50 times, the host assigns categories and you bring music to match. You can also ask for suggestions.

Fair turnout, missing a few. Had some new attendees from CP, newrival and EnderShadow. We compared an amp early on, did some hi-res, I2S and SPDIF comparisons with my DIY DAC. Main thing is the music, drinks, food and have fun. You can find yourself introduced to music that you never heard before. We have some members that music is like a second family. Number of categories depends on attendance. We’ve had events with 8. We usually bring extras in case someone else brought the same choice.

Music Categories

Can you go the distance? Attendees will be driving various distances to get here so bring a song that applies to covering ground, water, sky, dimensions or space.

Better cover me. Bring a song that you think is covered better by another artist than the original artist’s release.

This is the new stuff, what’s happening? Bring a song from a newer artist/group in your life that was released after June 2012.

Deuces wild. Bring a favorite duet. Same sex, opposite sex, gender change, don’t matter but 1 plus 1 equals 2 people; not a human and farm animal.

Good time! I'll post a list of songs played when I get them from Rob.

From left clockwise, Rob, Dave (daboyz), Jay (agfrost), Aaron (ALL212), Dan (EnderShadow), Angelo (newrival).
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
Post edited by SCompRacer on

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea! It's been way too long since we did anything like that around here.

I like your idea for the format, it certainly seems like more fun than swapping gear all day, definitely lessens the risk for component damage.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sounds like you guys had a blast.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Man, next time I take the pic Rich.... so I dont have to be in it :wink:. Was lots of fun, will post more later, since I have the house to myself today I am to busy jamming out to post :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks for hosting, Rich (and to Dana for letting that motley crew into her house). Good guys, good eats, good tunes. Always nice to hear some new music, and there was plenty of that at this meet.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ^ Yes thanks again Rich, the food was good, putting faces to names was good and the music was VERY good.

Worth the 8+ hours on the road, traversing Chicago heights on the way in and the 50 million detours on the way home (to avoid Chicago Heights)
    since I have the house to myself today I am to busy jamming out to post :wink:

PS I would lose power on the one day I have to myself with the rig lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Man, next time I take the pic Rich.... so I dont have to be in it :wink:. :

Thats why I like to take and post the pics.:biggrin: Did I see you taking one of Jasper? I get the best pics of him taken by folks when they are over. I noticed Aaron with the camera over him too. Blake and Rob have taken some of the best pics I have of him.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Glad you could make it. I know it was a long ride for you Dan. You brought some great music choices too!

Some extra pics. Rob brought a neat 7" 45 he scored on Record Store Day. Of course Rob, I'm old and do have a 45 adapter.:biggrin: Love the album artwork. Shearwater is a kewl American indie rock band!

ramc_june2213_5.JPG
    ramc_june2213_4.JPG
    ramc_june2213_6.JPG
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Glad you could make it. I know it was a long ride for you Dan. You brought some great music choices too!

Thanks Rich. I tried to bring a decent selection. You should go listen to my 4th category pick that I didnt play at the end. Its similar to Evanescence.

PS be looking for something in your mailbox in hopefully the next week or so.
    Thats why I like to take and post the pics.:biggrin: Did I see you taking one of Jasper? I get the best pics of him taken by folks when they are over. I noticed Aaron with the camera over him too. Blake and Rob have taken some of the best pics I have of him.

I did indeed take a pic of Jasper, but nothing great quality wise (iPhone 4), I left my SLR at home didnt want to get too caught up in taking pictures. The wife woulda loved meeting him.... so I am planning on using it as leverage for next meeting so she and the baby may come with me so I can stay longer :biggrin:....

This is that picture

FD6922D4-406B-4817-A45E-E4C57BE3D578-8804-000009B9FBDD48BE.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options

This is that picture

FD6922D4-406B-4817-A45E-E4C57BE3D578-8804-000009B9FBDD48BE.jpg

That is a good pic! Thanks! He is laying on the box the digital active crossover I need to send back is in. He is a kewl cat. Normally his stand is where folks were sitting behind the couch. He can be very territorial. If I scratch on his stand, he will jump on it and give me some Bruce Lee slaps with his paw on the hand or head.

Aw, you didn't have to send anything, but I will be checking the mail! Thanks!
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Aw, you didn't have to send anything, but I will be checking the mail! Thanks!

Compared to the price of the spread you laid out its nothing.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sorry I missed this one. Looks like fun, as usual.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It was great to see everyone. To actually get to spend a little time with my normal homies and the newbs. Really special to actually spend some time with Dan and Jay. My previous meetings with them lasted about 5 mins. each in parking lots.:eek:

The tunes were amazing. The one thing I really enjoy about our meets is I get turned on to all kinds of new music. Thank God we were able to stay away from Dan's Gangsta Rap.:wink:

Thanks again to Rich and Dana for the hospitality. Rich's system is just simply amazing.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited June 2013
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    It was great to see everyone. To actually get to spend a little time with my normal homies and the newbs. Really special to actually spend some time with Dan and Jay. My previous meetings with them lasted about 5 mins. each in parking lots.:eek:

The tunes were amazing. The one thing I really enjoy about our meets is I get turned on to all kinds of new music. Thank God we were able to stay away from Dan's Gangsta Rap.:wink:

Thanks again to Rich and Dana for the hospitality. Rich's system is just simply amazing.

That just sounds awful... ...but I admit it's true. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Really special to actually spend some time with Dan and Jay. My previous meetings with them lasted about 5 mins. each in parking lots.:eek:

Hey, what happens in the parking lot stays in the parking lot :wink:
    Thank God we were able to stay away from Dan's Gangsta Rap.:wink:

LOL, cause Jump Around wasnt just as bad...... :wink:....

Oh and because I know you hate it I am going to find a way to make sure to bring some for next time :biggrin:..... I might even edit a submission halfway through to add it just for you :wink:
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options

Oh and because I know you hate it I am going to find a way to make sure to bring some for next time :biggrin:

.....somones talking junk yo, I'll bust him in the eye....so jump around....:biggrin:
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sorry I had to miss out as well. I really really really wanted to hear that Krell. grrr.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2013
    Options
    .....somones talking junk yo, I'll bust him in the eye....so jump around....:biggrin:

Gangsta rap has much better lyrics to talk about dealing with someone talking smack :biggrin:.... thats kinda a weak line :evil:
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Nice Rich! So, what was the consensus on your DAC? Looks like you guys had a great time! Looking forward to the chosen song list.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Looking forward to the chosen song list.

Thanks Greg!

I got the list from Rob shortly after the meet. I dunno where page two went as it was in some kind of program with various folders. After the program we went free style with a wide range of genre in vinyl and digital. Some were my hi-res vinyl rips.

You know how I feel about the DAC;:cheesygrin: the others will have to chime in. As I recall I2S through the Amanero USB to I2S module was preferred over S/PDIF in from the Touch. The Amanero module is powered by separate high quality linear PS in the DAC. No isolation board yet, (still on the bench-damn SMD!'s-lol) but it is dead quiet. I use foobar on a laptop with an external 1TB USB drive connected. Not a permanent setup yet.

EDIT: Aaron took a nice pic of Japser with his new camera. Nice!
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Oh Greg, I forgot to mention Aaron brought his rewired Sennhesier HD650's down. I don't have a decent pair of cans here.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?146855-DIY-Sennheiser-HD650-cable-build

Since I went with from two to one Legato I/V output board, like a C&W song backwards, I got my SE and headphone out back. I stuck a 1/4" headphone jack in the right side panel close to rear panel. Nice short leads and away from power supplies. Legato HP out sounds really good, and so did the 650's! Gotta get me some nice cans now.
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I don't know why but yahoo mail messes up the doc Rob sent so he did a copy and paste.

RAS/RAMC meet � June 22, 2013 � Rich�s house

Begins with an amp swap and some repeat music to compare. I�ll do a SPDIF and I2S comparison, some hi-res. Bring a fav demo song you�d like to hear or pick from what I have. I can play CD, SACD, vinyl (33/45) and flac.

To the new attendees, a sub group that morphed out of the Rockford Audio Society is the Rockford Area Music Club. The host assigns categories and attendees are tasked to bring music to match. We grade this and may ask questions about the song/artist so ensure your choice applies in some way. How much of what is planned depends on amount of folks attending.

Music Categories and Track Choices:

Can You Go The Distance? Attendees will be driving various distances to get here so bring a song that applies to covering ground, water, sky, dimensions or space.

Rich: 500 Miles � The Proclaimers

Rob: Dashboard � Modest Mouse

(Bumped to the #2 spot with the help of an obscure aboriginal rock reference!)

Jay: The Misty Mountains � The Hobbit Soundtrack

Dan: Long Time � Cake

Aaron: Wild Wild West � Electric Light Orchestra

Dave: Travelin' Man (live) � Bob Seger

Better Cover Me! Bring a song that you think is covered better by another artist than the original artist�s release.

Rich: Is Your Love Strong Enough? � How To Destroy Angels

(From The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack)

Angelo: Afrolise � Klazz Brothers & Cuba, Percussion

(Angelo visited briefly to meet, greet, and play a killer track)

Dan: Smooth Criminal � 2Cellos

Bonus track from Rich! Saturday Night (hi-res vinyl rip) � The Blue Nile

Dave: I'm A Man - Chicago (Transit Authority)

Aaron�s category, invented on the spot, for which he was the sole entrant:

Just Because! My Immortal / Bring Me To Life � Evanescence

This is the new stuff, what�s happening? Bring a song from a newer artist/group in your life that was released after June 2012.

Rich: Diamonds � Rihanna

Rob: The Gentle Roar � Niki & The Dove

Jay: Teeth � Santah

Dan: Breakn' A Sweat � Skrillex & The Doors

Aaron: Monkeys Paw � Laurie Anderson

Dave bows out here, but...

Dan Needs More Skrillex! � Ruffneck (Full Flex)

Rich's Spontaneous Segue: Jump Around � House of Pain

Dan bows out here.

Deuces wild! Bring a favorite duet. Same sex, opposite sex, gender change, don�t matter but 1 plus 1 equals 2 people; not a human and farm animal.

Rich: To the Last Whale � David Crosby & Graham Nash )hi-res vinyl rip)

Rob: Stop Draggin' My Heart Around � Shearwater & Sharon Van Etten

Jay: When They Ring The Bells � Natalie Merchant & Karen Peris

Aaron: Right Now � Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

Freestyle yo!

Rich: You Don't Know How It Feels � Tom Petty

Rob: (You Will) Set the World on Fire � David Bowie

Jay: Where Have All the Cowboys Gone � Paula Cole

Aaron: Nightwalker � Trentem�ller

Rich: Moving In Stereo � The Cars

Aaron: Fallen � Sarah McLachlan

Rich: I Want To Break Free � Queen (complete with YouTube video!)

Rob: Diane Young � Vampire Weekend

Rich: This Woman's Work � Kate Bush

Jay: Nothing Compares 2 U � Prince