lights question

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have a couple of off road lights on my brushguard
i think theyre 50 watts each, but im not exactly sure...sounds right though
but anyways
i have em hooked up to the fuse relay, the fuse relay has one of the big maxi 30A fuses on it
but the wiring kit for the lights also came with its own little in-line fuse thing
so i have the smaller 30A maxi fuse in there
problem is i keep popping the damn things
i took out the fuse in the fuse relay and put the one in the in-line holder in, and when i put the one in the fuse relay back in the inline popped
would having the acc. and the pwr to the on/off control switched be causing that?
or do i just need to disconnect the battery?
ive replaced em b4 and i dont remember having to unplug the battery...
any answers?
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    and why does it always pop the fuse in the inline and not on the fuse relay?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    50 w x 2 lights = 100 watts... 100 / 14 volts = 7 amps... 100 / 12 volts = 8.3 amps.

so.. regardless of whether they're basing the wattage on a 12 or 14 volt rating... either way you should NOT exceed 10 amps.

if you're blowing 30 amp fuses, then you have a wiring problem.

... hence we now see why fuses are good.. u may have just saved your **** from catching on fire.. :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited December 2003
    Most probably a Short between the Inline fuse and the lights. Or a pinched wire.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    well, bought some more fuses today
    switched the acc. and power and it didnt pop the fuse
    so everythings better
    i have another question...totally unrelated
    how do you corner in a front wheel drive car?
    lol
    reason being i was driving my moms 2k buick lesabre(v6, 3600 series engine, toyo spectrum tires) christmas day and it was raining(hence, roads wet)
    anyways, i was going to see what kind of handling it had...lol
    and i was taking a corner fast and it totally **** on me
    i turned the wheels, car went straight, hit the brakes, car still went straight
    was coming home, same corner, tried cornering fast but this time slammin the gas after i got into the turn...same result...to tell you the truth, im not even sure if the wheels turned when i hit the gas...it happened kinda fast though so i could be mistaken...
    any ideas?
    damn front wheel drive cars...ive mastered the art in my truck though...lol
    and please note, you will not be responsible for my actions if you post back...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    i agree with u -- they're a pain... case in point...

i have for many moons taken 90 degree thruway on-ramps at 50 mph (through the turn) in trucks. however, when trying to do so in my girlfriend's front wheel stupid sports car i almsot ended up dead twice. turns REALLLLY wide when the road isn't bone **** dry.

.... that and u can't do the whole "fishtail on the corner" thing where u're front end makes the turn and then the rear kinda swings into it.

this is why all front wheel drive vehicles should be crumbled for scrap metal with which to build environmentally friendly (since they're made outa recycled FWD cars) muscle cars.

i'm watching "gone in 60 seconds" as we speak and drooling over the mustang...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    hmmm...at least im not the only one that has found this to be a problem...
    it corners really good when its dry though...i give it that...
    -Cody
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited January 2004
    Any car is going to "push" (understeer) if it's not designed to oversteer (backend out).

This is especially in the case of rain and slick roads. If your front tires lose grip, you can't turn, no matter what, and since they aren't gripping, you are not able to bring the backend out.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    yes, but in a rear wheel drive car you can bring the back end around regardless of the front tires...hence why front wheel drives suck...
    -Cody
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited January 2004
    You drive a front wheel drive car as you would a rear engine rear wheel drive car "Porsche 911"

If you go into the cornor hot your screwed in one of 2 ways. If you panic and hit the breaks it'll push "front wheel drive" or swap ends "rear wheel rear engine". Front wheel drive tends to keep you from killing yourself in this case.

If your calm and know what your doing, and you enter that cornor a little hot, first rule is mash the throttle, if it's front wheel drive you'll want to ride the brake at the same time to slow the rear wheels, if need be locking them to get the car pointed in the right direction. If it's rear wheel, rear engine, you had better hope you went on the inside of the cornor, because more then likly it'll break the rear tires loose but it's still controlable, and you'll just fish-tail your way around. It's not the fastest way to drive, and it's hell on the tires.

Both of these types of cars are the fastest if you do all of your slowing down before entering the cornor then accelerating thru and out of the turn.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    well i went into the corner, and the wheels didnt grip and the 2nd time i thought if i hit the gas itd turn, but it didnt
    is it possible that it kinda stalled out and the wheels didnt even turn when i hit the gas?....i mean this is a 4 door car with a not so powerful v6
    when its dry, this car corners like a champ, better than a rear wheel drive, but when it loses traction youre **** out of luck...
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    Well.. you could use the hand brake... well you probably dont have one in the buick :D ... but you can control a fwd much better in bad conditions if you have one (really the emergency brake, just on a hand lever)

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    There a lots of things you can do in the snow too... I lived in Maryland for years, and delivered pizza in it :D

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.