Drummer looking for inexpensive practice headphones

drummer86
drummer86 Posts: 441
edited September 2013 in Headphones
Hello all,
I'm getting back into the gigging business and am looking for a good set of practice headphones. Sound reproduction should be decent enough for me to HEAR what I'm playing along to and noise isolation should be decent enough for me to NOT HEAR what I'm playing haha. I'm looking for a balance here, not the best of both worlds. By inexpensive I really do mean downright cheap. Under $40 would be ideal (not getting rich here). I guess I'd say the noise isolation is more important than the sound reproduction but I'd still like it to sound pretty clear. Any suggestions in my meager price range? Thanks in advance.
Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player
Post edited by drummer86 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2013
    $40? Good luck!

Maybe ebay? Beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm, or Sennheiser HD280s will probably do it. But you probably won't find either in your price range. Maybe used Senns? They retail for $99. The Beyers are even more!

Evidently some drummers also like the Sony MDR-V6/7506s (but I don't think they attenuate sound as much as the others above).

It might be possible to find some V6s for around $60+ if you shop around.

Actually, if shipping were not an issue you could get some Jaycar Digitech ProMonitors for $50. But it's $20 for shipping from Aussie land! They isolate fairly well, and have a very neutral, clean and detailed signature.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • drummer86
    edited June 2013
    I know this is an audio forum and all but there's about a million options in the $15-40 range. There has to be something that blocks a significant about of sound and doesn't sound like (complete) garbage... I'm just looking for some practice cans here
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2013
    I use Sennheiser HD280 Pro cans. Decent sound and good isolation. But they're $99. Good luck on your search and let us know what you find.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • cnh
    edited June 2013
    A good pair or cheap cans are the Monoprice 8323. The PROBLEM? They won't ISOLATE as WELL as you would like them. And that's really the problem with most super cheap cans--their price point does not allow for "significant" noise attenuation--that would add too much to the COST. However you may be resourceful enough to be able to MOD the exterior of these with some extra damping material, glue something to them to create more of a noise seal because these sound very good for about $30 shipped! And since they are "closed" back, they do block "some" noise, just NOT enough for a drummer.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

cnh

• cnh
    edited June 2013
    You also might want to look at some lower level studio Monitors by Audio Technica, like the ATH-M20s for $30+ (not sure how much isolation they provide?).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302627-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M20_ATH_M20_Closed_Back_Headphone.html

cnh

• cnh
    edited June 2013
    Or the Shure SHR240a at $49.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH240A-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B002DP594W

I'd also check out various lower priced DJ headphones and read some reviews on how well they isolate or don't. Usually, DJ phones are so-so, but might be OK for monitoring drumming?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677719-REG/DJ_Tech_DJH_200_DJH_200_On_Ear_DJ_Headphones.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665696-REG/Gemini_DJX_05_DJX_05_Professional_DJ_Headphones.html

I can't vouch for how these sound or how they isolate. You need to take a listen or read the reviews.

How about some of you who are "drummers" chiming in here, like drumminman?

cnh

• drummer86
    edited June 2013
    CNH,
    Even if your posts don't help me buy a pair you've gone above and beyond on this one! Now to start digging through your recommendations. I was just reminded why I keep coming back to this forum despite the fact that I've replaced nearly all of the Polks in my home. (except my very first pair... those will never go!)

I am basically looking for headphones that do a decent amount of isolation so I won't have to crank the volume to hear them over my bashing and smashing... trying to save what's left of my hearing!

• Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited June 2013
    Let me chime in and take you a different direction.

Since Cheap and Isolation are trumping sound quality, have you considered Ear Buds? I know they aren't for everyone but, I suspect you will get better isolation from them than a head phone. Same as ear plugs reduce more noise than ear muffs. For isolation the secret would be to get the proper fitting ear pieces / tips.

Something like the:
    MEElectronics A151-BK or perhaps the Panasonic RPHJE120D

If you can double your budget, Etymotic is known for some of the best isolation. They do this by ear tip design and also deep insertaion. They also have pretty good sound quality. Etymotic hf5.

These also might give you what they call micro phonics, from the cable shaking as you play. A proper fitting tip and running the cable over your ears and not under the chin should help.

Just something else you might consider,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2013
    Being a drummer myself I agree with the post above don't cheap out save your money and get a good set of it your headphones design for the musicians he's been also be used as monitors for stage performances.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2013
    In ear headphones I meant to say.....
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited June 2013
    They aren't cheap, but I have a pair of Klipsch X10i with Comply foam tips, and they act like ear plugs which would be ideal for drumming. I use them travel, but also mowing the lawn, the shop, etc; anywhere that I need noise isolation/protection, but also want to listen to music.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited June 2013
    Also check the B-Stock at headphone.com
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2013
    cnh wrote: »
    Or the Shure SHR240a at $49.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH240A-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B002DP594W

I'd also check out various lower priced DJ headphones and read some reviews on how well they isolate or don't. Usually, DJ phones are so-so, but might be OK for monitoring drumming?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/677719-REG/DJ_Tech_DJH_200_DJH_200_On_Ear_DJ_Headphones.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/665696-REG/Gemini_DJX_05_DJX_05_Professional_DJ_Headphones.html

I can't vouch for how these sound or how they isolate. You need to take a listen or read the reviews.

How about some of you who are "drummers" chiming in here, like drumminman?

cnh

The only ones I have experience with are the Sennheisers I mentioned above, and, years ago, some sony VDR 7506's. The sonys were good too, and if you shop you can get them for around $80, still a little out of your price range.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited July 2013
    I still use my Koss Pro 4AA's for practice and studio work (yes, I'm a drummer); if you can find an old/used pair, they last forever.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited July 2013
    Koss has a 25% off sale going on now. http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/all
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited July 2013
    Search eBay for "vintage headphones." Over 2500 results, and "they don't make them like they used" to applies. Tons of really good options for not a lot of cash. Some are even NOS.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited July 2013
    Heck I've been sifting through them and I don't even need a set. Here's an example of what's available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Pioneer-SE-L40-stereo-headphones-/251300711632?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a82b08cd0

These are a work of art.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited July 2013
    skrol wrote: »
    Koss has a 25% off sale going on now. http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/all

I can't believe they still make the Pro 4AA's--and they still look the same!
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2013
    drumminman wrote: »
    The only ones I have experience with are the Sennheisers I mentioned above, and, years ago, some sony MDR7506's. The sonys were good too, and if you shop you can get them for around $80, still a little out of your price range.
    We used to use the Sony headphones in the studio,(some of us had the V6's some the MDR7506's) they cover the ear quite well, after years of use and sweat, seems like the foam earpads would breakdown and on one pair, the whole swivel connection came apart, really,you should be able to find a decent pair of used ones out there fairly cheap. I think new, at the time we paid around 100 bucks for them at Guitar Center.
  • kick
    kick Posts: 10
    edited September 2013
    I am a drummer. I recommend isolation headphones. i have a pair of direct sound 'extreme isolation' headphones. Eventually the one of the drivers blew. but because the case is so large it allowed me to put some better sounding drivers in the ear mounts. They have a cheaper set now, the hp25, but the case looks smaller. Either way the isolation headphones are very important to actually hear the music your playing along to, and also for studio recording they help because other headphones will bleed sound into the mics.