Want to replace your home theater pre-pro with a HTPC?

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
edited June 2013 in Going Digital
Now I'll be honest. I have no intention of doing this myself, as I am a 2-channel guy and HT isn't really my gig. With that said, I ran across this article today by Nyal Mellor and I thought I would share with with the fine folks here at Club Polk. If I ever did get into HT, this would be the route I would take.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/home-theater-blog/2013/6/6/how-to-replace-your-home-theater-pre-pro-with-a-htpc

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited June 2013
    I can't imagine that to sound good but you never know
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2013
    No HDMI switching that I couldmsee
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2013
    Sound you maybe surprised use one for HTPC myself and very happy with it. Was used for a some TV playback during PolkFest, I like someone whom was here to say something about the playback in their own words.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2013
    Not even going to read it :^ )
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2013
    If HDMI switching isnt needed then its pretty nice. I have a similar case with a similar goal in mind myself however I am keeping it simple and letting my Integra do all the lifting.

Plus to be honest for this cost you could get the Oppo 105 which does 99% of this and does it better more than likely. You just need to rip your blu-rays and movies to a server and then use the Oppo as a front end.

If Oppo got Audyssey room correction installed it would be IMHO a bit better than a standalone HTPC with the only caveat being the HTPC is upgradeable to some extent where the oppo has to be replaced entirely to get new features hardware wise.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)