Need help for speaker installation

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok guys I'm having a very stupid problem and I need some help. I'm getting ready to install my new amp and speakers. I've got 12ga streetwires ultracable for the speakers. I need some means to connect that speaker wire the tabs on my Polk EX3 6x9's. I ordered what were supposed to streetwires 12g fast on crimp connectors from Sounddomain.com. What I got from them has the right part number on it, but the product inside is def not able to accept 12g wire. Sounddomain.com was unable to help in telling me that if I order another set whether they can get me the right ones or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to connect these speakers to my 12g wire? Or a website that would sell a similiar wire terminal to what I am lookin for????

Also one last question, and I know I've asked this one before but I need to make my final decision. My fiance ordered me both the RF 551x and the Hifonics Zeus 6400, so I can choose the one I want and send the other back!! So if you had to choose between those two, which would it be? For some reason I'm leaning towards the Hifonics. Can anyone tell me why there is no onboard fuse on the RF???

Thanks,
Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    for the terminal, go to radio shack, for something like that, quality isnt a huge issue, radio shack will be great
    i have y-slpitters coming off my rcas that are radio shack gold series, and its fine, and thats a lot more important than a 1/2 crimp...so radio shack
    as far as hifonics vs rf, lemme check the hifonics out and ill tell ya what i think
    as far as on board fuse...dunno
    i guess they figure if you have a fuse on the line already, it wont matter
    and it doesnt
    i wouldnt take that into consideration when buying an amp
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    ok
    im not a big fan of new RF gear, i mean its still good, but i like the older stuff better
    the older stuff was FAR underrated
    i have an amp rated at 500...puts out 830
    thats crazy underrated
    i have the same amp now, but newer, its rated at 550, puts out 580
    see what i mean?
    as far as the hifonics
    is it a 4 channel?
    85 x4 @ 4 ohms
    350x2 @ 4 ohms
    thats what i found, is that right?
    i wouldve gone with the zeus 6000 cuz its a new channel, but i guess its a little too late now...lol
    i have no idea how to wire a 4 channel amp to one sub...maybe if it was a dual voice coil, but not a single
    but if you figure out how, then go with the hifonics
    i think they only have a 1 yr warranty though...the rf comes with a 3 yr
    you have the mm124 right?
    cuz that amp will push that sub perfectly with 700 watts i think
    you might want to turn down the gain just a tad
    if i had the money, i wouldve rather got bigger amps for my mm124s, but i didnt have the money
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Cody- I'm not driving subs with this amp, I am driving my full range speakers.

A set of Polk EX3 6x9's, and a set of Polk EX3 550 Components.

The Zeus is 85x4 @ 4 ohms

Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    ooooo, i get ya
    then yea, def. the hifonics so you can get power to all your speakers
    unless you can wait a little while and put the 551 on the fronts and squeeze another amp out of your fiance, you know valentines day is coming up...lol
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Is anyone familiar with Hifonics Nemesis amps? Onlinecarstereo.com is selling the Nemesis NX880 for $10 more then the Zeus ZX6400.

NX880 is 110x4 RMS at 4 ohms according to Hifonics website info

ZX6400 is 85x4 RMS at 4 ohms.

Are the Nemesis series as good as the Zeus series? Should I consider returning the ZX6400 and getting the NX880??

I know I'm obsessing over this, but I'm afraid to make the wrong decision, and can't afford to do it wrong.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Found some specs for the NX880 at sounddomain.com that don't require downloading the brochure from hifonics.

NX880 specs

And here's the ZX6400

ZX6400 specs

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    the nemesis series is the line below the zeus series
    but for $10 more, and you get the same warranty...i would probaby get the nemesis
    God forbid anyone breaks a screw off in a RF amp
    i was tightening one down a long time ago, it held down the end cap that covers the wires...broke it off
    luckily i have an old RF i was able to steal a screw from
    but it took me probably 1.5 hrs to get the damn screw out
    i broke my 2 best 1/16" drill bits
    ran down a fully charged battery for my drill
    and broke two really small screw drivers, about the size you would use to take out a screw from your glasses
    its also took some needle nose the size of an ice pick to get the damn thing out
    and i only drilled through about an 1/8th" of the screw, there was a little more than an 1/8th" left b4 i got the needlenose and started turning it out
    good news is that i dont think i messed up the threads in the amp
    im taking a break now...im going to go back and screw in all the distro blocks that have just been hanging there for the last few months...
    maybe even try and work on that putting that other cap in, but i think ill save that for a later time
    well, breaks over, back to work
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Well I think I am going to stick with the Zeus 6400 and send back the RF 551x. I just don't like the feel of the RF, I know they have a good rep, but the RF just seem kinda "chincy", and get the feeling you pay for the name. After thinking about it I don't think I want to play the "paying out the ****" for shipping to send amps back and forth, so I'm shelving the idea of the Nemsis. I believe that the Zeus will more then do the job I need it to do, and I'm hoping it is underrated power wise I've heard and will put out more then its rated 85x4.

Me and my buddy are doing my install of all new speakers and amp on New Years day, I'll let you know how it all turns out. Gonna install 100sq ft of Second Skin damplifier too!!

-Kevin

PS- Thanks for all your help and advice Cody!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    ooo...youre installing damplifier...have fun...lol, its very tedious, but worth it in the end, good luck, hope everything turns out how you want it to
    -Cody
  • Kschultz76
    edited December 2003
    Is it safe to solder speaker wire directly too the connection tabs on the speakers?
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    yes, but id advise against it, theres no real advantages to it, and in case something ever happens to the speaker and need to take it out or something, it might even void a warranty or something
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    I agree. Its awful permanent and offers no better connection. Go to Radio Shack and get some terminal ends for a song & dance. that way if you ever have to remove something, you can.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D