Network Music players

Options
txcoastal1
txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
edited June 2013 in Going Digital
I have a Sonos that I like but have started collecting 24/96 & 24/192 music that Sonos won't recognize and it sucks when I forget and put the hi-res music in my playlists.

So I have started pecking around for options. Started inquiring on the following but will entertain other suggestions.

Linn Majik DS
NAD M50
Naim ND5 XS
or just get my Sonos modded to 24/96

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Ron
2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
Post edited by txcoastal1 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I have both, a regular Sonos and a Cullum modded one for those 24/96 files. I'll tell ya what, if you used the same dac with both units, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Now, being hard pressed doesn't mean there is no difference. The modded unit exhibit's slight more detail and bass control with slightly more extended highs. Is it worth the 5 bones to mod it ? I dunno man, a toss up to me. The Bryston player looks like a winner if you ask me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I;'ll throw the Oppo 105 into the mix. I didn't even know it was a network player when I bought it, and now that's become my favorite feature! I've posted elsewhere about my love affair with this player so I won't repeat it here, but it's worth a look.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks Tony, will add that to my list.

Danny how is the GUI for the Oppo, curious about how it categorizes music, and does include the regular features such as album art ect.

I will likely control this unit by 'droid or IPAD mini

What I like about the NAD or Oppo options are for example when we are at LSAF, we have the option of a CD player for those with their own music....stream line gear I have to haul around
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Ron it all depends on how you set it up. I set up the Oppo as a dlna renderer in jriver and I use jremote on one of the iPads laying around and it's works just like jriver with the library and artwork and all that.

The Oppo also can read directly from a USB drive or network share. In this scenario there is nothing going on in a PC which is nice since the Oppo just plays the file natively and you don't need a computer running. You browse thru the folders just like you do on a PC, but you lose the artwork and tags so its important that you have your media physically sorted in a way that makes sense to you. I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.

Give me a ring if you have any specific questions.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Ron it all depends on how you set it up. I set up the Oppo as a dlna renderer in jriver and I use jremote on one of the iPads laying around and it's works just like jriver with the library and artwork and all that.

The Oppo also can read directly from a USB drive or network share. In this scenario there is nothing going on in a PC which is nice since the Oppo just plays the file natively and you don't need a computer running. You browse thru the folders just like you do on a PC, but you lose the artwork and tags so its important that you have your media physically sorted in a way that makes sense to you. I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Steep price just for you to answer some questions.

Cubic zirconia is all he'll get

• txcoastal1
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.

This is what I am trying to accomplish but still want a nice user interface.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The Oppo player actually has an ipad app that is an interface for the player. It doesn't have artwork but is a nice clean interface
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    Options
    When I get home tonight I'll do a couple screenshots of the Oppo control app so you can get an idea of what it looks like, though if you know for sure you want artwork I don't think it'll work for you.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Thanks that would be great
    Art work is not so important but creating and setting up playlists is

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Upgrade the Sonos for your hi-rez files. You'll be hard pressed to beat the Sonos with it's capabilities.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2013
    Options
    ^^^I think that's what I am going to do at this point. I like the Sonos UI and with the development of Dacs and streamers starting to develop and incorporate Hi-res and even DSD compatibility, the Sonos upgrade is the most cost effective route at this time.

• tonyb
    edited June 2013
    Options
    If your going to go that route, do some research. There is 2 camps doing the mods, one of which you already know that I mentioned and another ....frack, the name escapes me at the moment but I think they are in Europe or Australia and they have a similar but different approach on the mods. Which is better....I dunno, both camps claim the high ground but reviews are split about 50/50.

Now, just for giggles, also be aware when you mod it, you are given a choice of up to 24/96, or the higher rez. Everyone I talked to said the 24/96 mod was where it's at so I flew with that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited June 2013
    Options

Did the latest firmware update solve the gapless play issue?
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It's just such a shame that Logicrap had to go and destroy the Squeezebox like they did, because I absolutely love it as a hi-rez player. And it has a great iDevice app. The software is still downloadable, but with the high prices they fetch on eBay now that Logicrap stopped making them, I can't recommend it like I used to. But I really love my Squeezebox.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • txcoastal1
    edited June 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    If your going to go that route, do some research. There is 2 camps doing the mods, one of which you already know that I mentioned and another ....frack, the name escapes me.....

There seems to be more than 2

Dr Gert Volk...See plenty of reviews but can't seem to pin down contact info...have found reviews up till earlier this year so I assume they are still available.

http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/sonos.html

and of course W4S/Cullen

Would like to have 2 Sonos mods done by 2 different camps to do a comparison as I have 2 systems anyway...you even send one of the units for you to compare Tony.

P.S. Audiocom was a provider but no longer available

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm sure the interface and ease of use is better on the Sonos than the Oppo. The inferface on the oppo isnt bad, but its secondary to the functionality and theres no artwork or playlist creation or editing. Since you already have a killer DAC the Oppo probably doesn't make much sense.
  • txcoastal1
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here is another streaming option that will play native hi-rez tracks

http://www.bluesound.com/products/node

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2013
    Options
    And then there's the yet to be released Olive player
  • txcoastal1
    edited June 2013
    Options
    This stuff makes your head spin...as a lot of hobbies do especially anything tech

Maybe I can get my head around some good demo's at RMAF, maybe even walk out with a cheaper demo unit

....as for now chill and enjoy the music

Still would like to see feed back to go along with the search

Thanks...will keep updating

• tonyb
    edited June 2013
    Options
    And then there's the yet to be released Olive player

Olive has been around for awhile now. The newer 4h model I think it's called is supposed to be coming out.

No shortage of network players, Bryston, Cary, MF, everyone and their brother has one these days. The originals like Soolos and Q-sonic are suppose to be top notch not only in SQ but their software is to die for....supposedly. Expensive though. That's why I think players from the likes of Bryston may offer up some better SQ seeing it's what they put the emphasis on. Players from Sonos, Soolos, Q-sonic put the emphasis on functionality, ease of use. Worth some digging into anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's