JRiver/Foobar Ripping Question

Options
Devlon
Devlon Posts: 355
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
A couple days ago I was fortunate to find several dozen CDs that I like at a Goodwill for cheap. I having been reading some about JRiver and Foobar and think I will start ripping CD's to my laptop. Question: Do I go ahead and rip them to my computer with Media Player or do I wait and use JRiver or Foobar to do the ripping? I have looked online to find the answer but that info is alluding me somehow. So, does it matter to go ahead and rip them until I get the software or does this mess something up? If it's ok to go ahead and use MP to rip them is there a best ripping option as there are many to choose from, i.e. Mp3. Wav loseless, etc.

here are some of the sites I've been looking for info without finding the answer yet:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/
http://www.audiostream.com/
http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/category/computer-audio-reviews

I think because it is so basic of a question that it's not addressed in the threads (at least where I have looked) becasue there's an assumption that most already know.
Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
Post edited by Devlon on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I would rip it by way of JR or Foobar, many more options there. Dear Lord, pick a lossless format, not MP3. Flac, Wav, is fine providing you have gear that will play it once it's ripped. What are you going into when it leaves the laptop ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Media Player can rip a CD to Wav. From the laptop I can go HDMI out either into a HK AVR354 in one room, or Sherwood R-972 in another. Might try the Sherwood first as it has the option to upsample the source by 2x. How much better sounding is FLAC over WAV if any as I don't have a way to rip to FLAC as of yet?
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get a good ripping program and rip to flac, this will give you lossless audio with tags. I personally like dbpoweramp the best, but anything that rips to flac should be fine.
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Last year The Absolute Sound magazine ran a series of articles on all aspects of digital and came to the conclusion after extensive testing (subjective of course) that J River was an outstanding program for both ripping and burning. It's what I use.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Let J. River do the ripping and tagging.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    edited May 2013
    Options
    +198 on Jriver. Great sounding, easy to use, all in 1 so to speak solution. If your into DSP or any type of processing or EQ, its also built in.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Another vote for JRiver. It does a very good job.