Picked up a Teac UD501

bobsauto49
bobsauto49 Posts: 973
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
JUst got it today. Have a few day to try it before I buy it! Will be posting impressions compared to my DMagic+.
Cant wait to get home:cheesygrin:
"Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
Post edited by bobsauto49 on

Comments

• Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited May 2013
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    JUst got it today. Have a few day to try it before I buy it! Will be posting impressions compared to my DMagic+.
    Cant wait to get home:cheesygrin:

Where did you find the best price on it?
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • bobsauto49
    edited May 2013
    A local hifi shop is letting me demo before I buy!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2013
    Going by the specs it should destroy the dacmagic, am curious to see what real world results will be though.
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited May 2013
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • bobsauto49
    edited May 2013
    This thing is not staying! Sounds good,a little smoother,not as bright,and a little more analog sounding. But the DacMagic+ has a lot more punch,with a lot more bass.
    This Teac is a Good performer,but Im gonna wait for the new Cary Dac 100t to come out in a couple weeks,and give that a listen. I know they are 2 different price ranges,but im looking for the smoothness,and crisp ,defined Bass. The Teac is in the same league as the DM+ IMHO!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    edited May 2013
    How long do they recommend burn in be?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • bobsauto49
    edited May 2013
    IDK, but I let it run Friday at 5 PM, through Monday nite. I heard no difference.
  • bobsauto49
    edited May 2013
    It's still running now, so I'll give it a few more listens till Friday. But as of now, slightly different sound, but a lateral move,IMO!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    I've had one here for a couple days now, am going to do a write up on it and the Oppo 105 later this week
  • bobsauto49
    edited May 2013
    I've had one here for a couple days now, am going to do a write up on it and the Oppo 105 later this week
    Whats yer 1st impression?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited May 2013
    I'm still dialing in the Maggies so I spent some time tonight comparing this on more familiar gear, my headphone rigs. I absolutely and completely prefer the Oppo 105 over the Teac. I wanted to like the Teac better because I already have another Oppo blu ray player, and the Teac has all the connections I need from the 105 and is a few hundred bucks cheaper.

The Oppo has all the smoothness and musicality of the Teac but with more impact and dynamics in the sound. The Teac is little too laid back for my taste, I don't really like a forward or bright sound but the Teac just doesn't have enough life for me. Honestly between the Teac and Oppo it's not even close, the Oppo is better in every aspect to these ears.

What's more interesting is the comparison to my DAC-IT by Peachtree. I'd have to do a more earnest comparison between those, but based on what I've heard I'd actually even take the cheaper Peachtree over the TEAC if all I needed was a basic DAC. Now the Teac obviously has more features and will do things the Peachtree can't, but as a basic DAC playing flac up to 24/96 I still prefer the sound of the Peachtree.

What's more interesting still is the Oppo compared to the Peachtree. I tell ya, even up against the Oppo the little DAC-IT really holds its....................no...........no......no it doesn't either. Up against the Oppo the Peachtree is out of it's league. It's not night and day though, the Oppo is just a little better than the Peachtree, but it's a little better in every way and the end result is a better sound that's not hard to hear. The Oppo has many of the same qualities of the Peachtree, just all taken to the next level.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure what TEAC has done over the past 30 or 40 years would instill much confidence in me to think that they could be a major player in the DAC market. The only thing that I can recall that they ever might have excelled in, period, is reel to reel tape recorders/players.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    edited May 2013
    Their high end division ESOTERIC has some great sounding stuff.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    I guess I've just been out of the loop with that brand for a long time.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones