Not understanding best way to hook up subs to amp

wkworman
wkworman Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in Car Subwoofer Talk
i have a 4 channel ultradrive Z 600 amp and a pair of polk DXI 104 subs in a bandpass box. I want to hook them up bridged to get the most power and best sound, how do i do this properly. I have it all done wrong now and when i turn the volume up the base completly kicks out and when i turn it back down i get bass back.
Post edited by wkworman on

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2013
    Are your subs single 4 Ohm or dual 4 Ohm voice coil? DVC 4 Ohm subs can be wired for either 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms. Your amp can handle a 4 Ohm load bridged. The specs are as such:

4 Ohms:75 X 4
    2 Ohms: 125 x 4
    Bridged: 250 x 2 @ 4 ohms

So, if your subs are Single4 Ohm Voice Coil then you are good to go in bridged mode. If they are dual 4 Ohm, then you will have to wire the coils in series for 8 Ohms so that you won't over load your amp. This is not as optimal as the single 4 Ohm but is fine. OTOH, wiring for 2 Ohms on this amp will producing the overdriving/overheating results that you are getting now.

CHECK YOUR SPECS, and CHECK YOUR WIRING!

The manual explains this if you need more info: http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manual/DXiSubWebMN.pdf
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Cabalabading
    Cabalabading Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    You could wire them in series-parallel and achieve a 4 ohm load while bridged.
  • poman
    poman Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    yes, i have tried that way, it did work