new guy!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys...lookin to do a system in my car....not subs yet..but im doin component 2 way deal...any suggestions? i wanna either go with polk or a/d/s...thanx guys
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    As with all things, it depends on your budget. For under $300 you will not find a better speaker than Polk/Momos. They are head and shoulders better than any other offering in that price range. But the sound quality will increase the more you spend, up to a point anyway. For instance, the Momo blows everything out of the water in the $300 and under category. But you take a $400 set of Focal, MB Quarts or a/d/s and youre gonna get a better sound. You move on up to the $1200 offerings and its gonna sound better still. Now is the SQ difference worth $1000? I dont think so. I guess you have to decide how much youre willing to spend and then decide on a speaker. If you want to spend $600 on a set of components then go with the a/d/s. If $300 is your max then Polk is for you.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2003
    Aint the new guys supposed to buy the first round???

peace
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    momo doesnt really compare to a/d/s, momos a great midline speaker, but a/d/s is a great TOTL speaker
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    i don't know much of **** about a/d/s since they were bought up by DEI / Viper...

far as "nothing better for under 300" -- the momo comps are a shade over 300 aren't they? more like 350? -- least last i checked... i could be wrong though... image dynamics chamaleons are low 3's as well and should be as good or actually a little smoother -- but they'll lack the extreme top end of the momo, but for some people this is an advantage... also alpine type R's are pretty close to the momo's and they go for about 250 or even less some places.

none the less.... the momo are a hell of a component system... were i hunting a set today and i had about 300 bones to kill i'd be doing some hard thinking and trying to get a listen to the ID set, the MOMO set and the Alpine R set... if you can find Crystal at a low price, take a look at them too... but you probably won't be able to.

All things being equal, I'd probably snap up the Momo's in a second, but its good to get a taste for other stuff too.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Circuit City has the Momo 6.5 for $299 and they were recently on sale for $279.

I gave the Alpine R a test drive when I bought my Momos and for most music they were fine but when I put in Dream Theater "Awake" they showed their weakness, for my tastes anyway. The snare drum in the first song was very thin sounding and the cymbals and hi-hats were too bright. Same with Rush "Test for Echo". On the song "Test for Echo" the guitar is not real heavy and on lesser speakers it will sound tinny and real crappy. Thats the problem I had with the Infinitys. The Alpines were not very good in this department whereas the Polks had plenty of depth and accuracy on both albums. Although the Alpines were better than the DB speakers.

Im not knocking Alpine now, I love them. My head unit and all my amps are Apline. I just think Polk/Momos whoop em in he speaker department.

Also my tastes in music are different than most. I listen to progressice type metal which is heavy and sometimes fast but very technical and precise and has a lot of things going on. With music like that you need a speaker that is very accurate tonally but also very precise in detail. I want to be able to hear the subtle key change of the guitar in the middle of a rumbling double bass drum segment. Thats no problem for a MB Quart Q or Focal Utopia but for a $300 and under speaker its a pretty tall order. And my Momos do a pretty good job at it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    truthfully, for the first time ever, i went to CC and heard the DB speakers
    and i really think they sounded better than the alpines listed above
    but i didnt get a chance to crank either one up so i dont know how accurate they are at louder levels
    but i was really impressed with the DBs
    -Cody