JRiver playback static issue

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
I recently started using JRiver on a trial basis. Streaming FLAC files from a USB connected HDD connected to my PC. I have a USB DAC connected to the PC (HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2) and the DAC is connected via IC's to powered studio monitors. Internet radio, FLAC files, whatever.....I get background static like you get from a turntable playing scratchy LP's. I am using the WASAPI Event Style with 100ms buffer size, under WASAPI settings I have tried both the default device as well as the Teralink X2 USB audio device which comes with the DAC, I've tried other output modes, I have tried DSP modes and no DSP. What am I missing?
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2013
    How do you have the volume set in JRiver?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2013
    Try Kernel Streaming instead of WASAPI.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2013
    strider wrote: »
    How do you have the volume set in JRiver?

I think I played with both Application volume and System volume with the same result, if that's what you mean. As far as the volume control slider I set my powered speakers for a moderate level and then use the slider to adjust. If I'm in the mood I leave it maxed, if I just want background music I slide it down.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2013
    Face wrote: »
    Try Kernel Streaming instead of WASAPI.

I'll try that. I've played around with a few but not sure I've tried that one. Everything you read says to use WASAPI Event Style.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2013
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I think I played with both Application volume and System volume with the same result, if that's what you mean. As far as the volume control slider I set my powered speakers for a moderate level and then use the slider to adjust. If I'm in the mood I leave it maxed, if I just want background music I slide it down.

Was thinking it sounded like a signal level issue, like the volume was set too low in JRiver sending a weak signal to be amplified downstream. Doesn't sound like that's your issue though.

I agree with Mike, try all the different output settings to see if that changes anything. I prefer WASAPI Event style also, but in the interest of fault tracing...

If that fails, I've found JRiver's support forum is really useful.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    edited April 2013
    Do you get static under the direct sound output mode?

Have you tried checking the box to "Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package" under options/audio/output mode settings.

Have you tried increasing the buffer size?
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2013
    I've tried just about all of the output modes. What I am discovering is that it doesn't do it all the time. This setup is just a couple weeks old including JRiver, the powered monitors and the DAC, and sometimes I listen at lower volumes so I thought maybe it had been doing it all along and maybe I hadn't noticed. And for a while I thought it might only be internet radio. But it sounds perfectly fine sometimes and when it does do it it's on any music. Maybe some kind of interference at times?
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2013
    I believe this was due to a cheapie USB cable ($1.50 from Blue Jeans Cable who just get them from China I believe). The USB cable from PC to DAC has to run in near proximity to the PC power cord.
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2013
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I believe this was due to a cheapie USB cable ($1.50 from Blue Jeans Cable who just get them from China I believe). The USB cable from PC to DAC has to run in near proximity to the PC power cord.
    OK....not the problem. It seems when it happens I can close JRiver and re-open it and the problem goes away :^ / I'm at a loss.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited May 2013
    That is strange!. DO you have a cell phone by it?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dragon1952
    edited May 2013
    No cell phone. I've got my Fostex powered monitors on either side of my Acer flat screen, I've got a dual band router, my Logitech remote controller and a wireless phone and my little USB DAC.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited May 2013
    This is going to sound strange but, my computer speakers, I have right by my wireless belkin router. I started getting static through my computer speakers till I moved the router across the room and it stopped. It might not be your issue but, you can give it a shot by turning it off and seeing if it makes a difference.

At work my work blackberry is using the older edge network and it shoots through my laptop speakers all the time so that's why I asked about a cell phone.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.