B&K Reference 200.2

Options
chandler9a
chandler9a Posts: 877
Hi all,

I'm looking for one of these amps to power my modded 1C's. I am currently using an Adcom GFA 555 and its a fantastic amp but I feel the B&K would be a better match for my Pre, GFP-750.

Also, I just want to try something new. I will most likely sell the GFA-555 since I don't need two big amps.

I know these B&K's are hard to find but if anyone knows of one or is selling one for a decent price, please let me know. I'd be open to suggestions on other good amps that you guys have experience with but my budget is in the $600 range or less...

Thanks!
Post edited by chandler9a on

Comments

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yes, thank you, I saw that but I'm not about to pay $1000 for an amp I have seen sell for $500 plenty of times.
    Who knows, maybe he would take a lot less if I offered it though, I'll keep my eye on that one.
  • rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited April 2013
    Options
    chandler9a wrote: »
    Yes, thank you, I saw that but I'm not about to pay $1000 for an amp I have seen sell for $500 plenty of times.
    Who knows, maybe he would take a lot less if I offered it though, I'll keep my eye on that one.

I agree. They go for 5-600 hundred regularly for newer models of the 200.2. I have even seen the monos go for less than 1k a pair. That is a great amp. I owned one myself. Hate I got rid of it.
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Great choice! Awesome bang for the buck!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • chandler9a
    edited April 2013
    Options
    yes, seems like a great amp for the price, just hard to find them....
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited April 2013
    Options
    pepster was telling me once that the 200.2 is nothing special and it's the older B&K's to watch out for.

I too, am looking for one or monos.
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    pepster was telling me once that the 200.2 is nothing special and it's the older B&K's to watch out for.

Pepster must have been awfully thirsty that day:wink:
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2013
    Options
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    Pepster must have been awfully thirsty that day:wink:

I had one for 6-8 months.
    Tried to like it, ran it with a Ref 50, 30, and 20 and Atoll pre (I tried it both balanced and unbalanced).
    Sold it to another member on here.
    Just a matter of preference, like anything else in this hobby.

I won't go on about SQ and all that, and will say they are superbly built.
    $600 is not alot of money for an amp now a days.

Good luck with your search chandler, and I hope you find one.
    Maybe post your thoughts on this thread if you do.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • chandler9a
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Okay so one of these just popped up on Ebay for $500 in good shape, I pulled the trigger.

If all goes well with the unit when it arrives and I hook it up, I'll sell my GFA 555 here before putting it up for sale elsewhere, I hate to sell it but I don't need two amps.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2013
    Options
    chandler9a wrote: »

The problem is this amp does not come up too often, although usually for cheaper, and this one may sell at that price. I've seen amps for a great price many times but wasn't interested. When I finally did want to buy that model/design, it was not available or the price had gone up, and that's the fun of the used market.
  • chandler9a
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yes it may go for that, but I saw the one listed for $500 this morning and snagged it while I could.

Looking forward to hearing it on my 1C's!
  • chandler9a
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The amp came and after listening to it for a couple days, I really love it... Better bass and smother highs with a lot of detail.

thanks everyone for the suggestions
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Great you found what you were looking for, for now. Untill you go lusting after something else, does it ever end?
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • chandler9a
    edited May 2013
    Options
    haha, well, unfortunately I have other hobbies and no, it never ends but I'm extremely content for a while with this rig
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »

I too, am looking for one or monos.

This is true actually. I bought the Ref 200.2 from Pep and it wasn't a big improvement. I own the B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks now and these things sound phenomenal.