Mirage OM-5 Omni-Polar Speakers

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited March 2014 in Speakers
Does anyone have experience with the Mirage OM-5 speakers, or the smaller and passive version OM-7. I may have the opportunity to check out a pair of the OM-5s, and they seem like interesting speakers. There isn't a whole lot of information on them and they were $3500 a pair at the time, but the few reviews are good for both music and movies. I've learned I really like bi/di-polar speakers, and it helps that I have the room and appropriate placement to accommodate them. I am also drawn to the speakers as I do not run more than two channels, and do not run a subwoofer, so have a full range pair of speakers for all my 2.0 listening enhancing the experience. Any thoughts are appreciated!

6 Ohm Nominal Impedance, 4 Ohm Minimum; 90dB Sensitivity
Two 1" PTH Pure Titanium Hybrid Tweeters In An Omnipolar Array
Two 4.5" Polypropylene Midrange Cones With Butyl Surrounds In An Omnipolar Array
Two 8" Polypropylene Woofer Cones With Butyl Surrounds powered by 250-Watt Internal Amp
200Hz, 2KHz Crossover Frequencies; Bass Equalization System Technology
22Hz - 20KHz Frequency Response (+/- 3dB)
Dimensions: 11.56" W x 52.09" H x 16.38" D; Weight: 92 lbs each

DSCN1734.JPG
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited April 2013
    I have owned those speakers. IMO opinion they are a little harsh in the high frequencies, and they aren't well-suited for 2-channel music. I wouldn't pay for than 300 bucks for a pair.

Mirage hit its peak before these speakers were made.

If you are interested in Mirage, and particularly in bipoles, you need to look at their previous line, the M"X"si line. The made a size for every room. From smallest to largest:

- M7si
    - M5si
    - M3si
    - M1si

I owned the 7's and the 5's. I can recommend both, but 5's were a lot better. I'd look for either the 5's or the 3's. These M"X"si's are much smoother than the later OM's, they are MUCH better suited to 2-channel music, and their bipole nature is more enveloping because they have more backwards-firing drivers than just the tweeters.

Those OM-5's are bright but have good bass. They are a good "rock out" type speaker, but they are not subtle.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2013
    Thanks. Any idea how the OM-5 might compare to a similar (both have tweeters/mids front and back with powered woofers) speaker like a Definitive Technology SuperTower?
  • Chopin
    Chopin Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    I know I am so late to reply about those wonderful speakers, but when I read the reply
    of one user saying that the OM 5 are not good for stereo, and the tweeters are harsh, and
    other things that are so far from the true.

The omd 5 speakers are the best speakers ever made by Mirage period.
    I have them since many years, I also have the omd 28, the M-3 si and the M-7 si.

For stereo listening they are the best, not to mention that none of the others I have can
    reach the fantastic and articulated low frequency as the omd 5.

Of course the the M-si series was a wonderful speakers but the stereo image of the om-5
    are simply better than the omd & the m-si series adding to all this the big sound stage of this wonderful speakers.
  • Chopin
    Chopin Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    As you know Mirage are the creator of the bipolar and the Omnipolar speakers design. D