Hook up a AVR to power front speakers

Options
hosedagain
hosedagain Posts: 116
Hello, My front speakers are the RTiA9, want to use an old AVR to power them. I have a Pioneer VSX9040THX that I want to use to power the front, side and rear surrounds and the sub woofer. I have no clue how to hook the old AVR to the Pioneer. The old receiver specs 125W for the 2 front speakers. I read that 200W would be preferred to power the fronts. Would it be worth the effort to use the old receiver and would it have enough power to make a difference. Used for 100% movie watching, Would I need RCA cables or? Just a noob finding my way. I enclosed pics of the receivers,
Thanks

rear of the Pioneer receiver
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-23TXH_OperatingInstructions0512.pdf

rear of the old receiver
8ydsvd.jpg
Post edited by hosedagain on

Comments

• hosedagain
    edited April 2013
    Options
    edit, should have said the Pioneer to power the center speaker not the front.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited April 2013
    Options
    don't waste time on this get an amp
  • eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Why not? I've wondered this as well as I have an old Denon 110 WATT Receiver that's 10 years old that I could use to power the fronts while using the new Denon to power everything else.

People say even though a receiver says it will out put blah blah blah per channel, the power lessons as you add speakers. So if I have 7 channels on my main receiver then there would be less then 100 watts for the fronts. Though if I use a different receiver for the fronts that will do 110 watts then they would be getting a lot more wattage.

Sure grabbing a separate amp that would do 200 watts per channel would do better but if you have an old receiver laying around wouldn't it be worth it to run the fronts?
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • snake1
    snake1 Posts: 567
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Will it work? Yes. Will it rock to the 9s potential? No. Just depends on if you want them to be able to do everything they can or not. Also u shouldn't crank the volume too high either or else you'll start clipping.
    AVR - Onkyo NR809
    500gb HD for MP3 and FLAC files
    Amp - Parasound 2250 - FOR SALE BTW!! PM me if interested!
    Mains - Polk RTi12 towers
    Center - CSi5
    Surround - FXiA6's
    Sub - psw505
    Movies and games - PS3
    TV - Toshiba 52" HD

Every vehicle has one good nuetral drop in it
  • hosedagain
    edited April 2013
    Options
    eclypse wrote: »
    Why not? I've wondered this as well as I have an old Denon 110 WATT Receiver that's 10 years old that I could use to power the fronts while using the new Denon to power everything else.

People say even though a receiver says it will out put blah blah blah per channel, the power lessons as you add speakers. So if I have 7 channels on my main receiver then there would be less then 100 watts for the fronts. Though if I use a different receiver for the fronts that will do 110 watts then they would be getting a lot more wattage.

Sure grabbing a separate amp that would do 200 watts per channel would do better but if you have an old receiver laying around wouldn't it be worth it to run the fronts?

Thanks guys, so if I use my old AV for the fronts how do I wire the two and the speakers?
    Thanks
  • hosedagain
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I think I figured it out, just an newbie-noob learning as I go