Raising Speakers

Options
michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hey People I have a question. I have a pair of speakers that are about 27" tall and are currently sitting on the floor. I would like to raise them about a foot to bring them closer to ear level and I'm not sure what to put them on top of or how to get them slightly higher. It would also be a good thing if it also dampened some of the vibration that goes through the floor (since my room is on the second floor and the kitchen is under me). So if anyone knows of a cheap alternative to speaker stands (real ones lol) lemme know. Thanks :D.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    What speaker are we talking about? Throw that out, and we'll get you some ideas on the cheap.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    They are my fronts which have the dimensions of 27x15x12.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Michael,
    I recall seeing your speakers in an earlier thread. I think that your best bet is to angle the speakers so that they provide the sound you're looking for. Elavating the speakers so that the tweeters are at ear level will look, well Butt-Ugly. Sorry, gotta be honest though. :(
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2003
    Options
    One idea is to take cinder block and paint it with the new stone-finish spray paints on the market. Can look very nice if you have good spray-painting skills.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Hmm well i'll have to think about the cinderblock thing but as for the angling them and not raising them because they will look ugly......not so sure about that. At this point I really don't care what my system looks like as long as it sounds as best as it can (even though I have a lot of improving to do....)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    What speaker are we talking about? That would be helpful to this thread.

I agree w/ Frank, no need to go TOO high.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • michael_w
    edited December 2003
    Options
    They are my sort of crappy Digital Audio 500e's lol. They are my fronts and they work for me for now, but I'm going to replace them right after I get my sub :D.
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited December 2003
    Options
    milk crates? :)

Or you can buy a pair of totally decent speaker stands for $70
    (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc..)
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I agree with Walk. DIY is cool, but sometimes its just easier to leave it to the other guy. I would pick a real speaker stand over a cinder block any day.

If weight or mass is an issue, hence the cinder block, just buy a stand that is hollow and drill a hole, and fill. Otherwise, buy a pre-made "mass loaded" stand, and DIY. Options in this category are endless.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.