Help! Layout problem

Options
txlonghorn
txlonghorn Posts: 6
I trying to design a new theater room, but the dimensions of the room are odd. I haven't purchased the AV equipment yet, so I'm flexible in that regard. Can you guys please share your expertise and reactions to the following proposal?

RTiA9 towers and CSiA6 center channel in the front--is the room too small for the A9s?
FXiA6 surrounds--but I can't figure out whether any one of the three layouts below will accommodate them?
Undecided on sub--was thinking DSW660
Emotiva pre-amp and XPA-5 amp

I plan to use the system for 75% of the time HT and 25% of the time for 2-channel audio.

Any recommendations or insights much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Layout1.jpg
Layout2.jpg
Layout3.jpg
Post edited by txlonghorn on

Comments

• eclypse
    eclypse Posts: 595
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Would building a wall "vertical" behind the couch to square up the room out of the question?

Wonder if one could just put some wall treatments over that upper left angle wall to dampen any reflextions?
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)
  • eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Would building a wall "vertical" behind the couch to square up the room out of the question?

Wonder if one could just put some wall treatments over that upper left angle wall to dampen any reflextions?

Edit: personally i'd go with layout 3 after added the wall on the left side. Farther distance from the screen and bigger sound stage.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• txlonghorn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    eclypse wrote: »

Edit: personally i'd go with layout 3 after added the wall on the left side. Farther distance from the screen and bigger sound stage.

Thanks very much, Eclypse. Does the attached flooplan basically reflect what you're suggesting? If so, would you put dipoles next to the couch or bipoles behind the couch?

PS. This layout has other advantages because I can use the newly created ante-room for the component rack.

Layout4.jpg
  • eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Either way.. whatever is easiest to hang. 2 feet or more above ear level.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'd get to work and grab those speakers you are looking at! haha.. That's the same setup I've been lusting over the past couple of weeks but cant even think it after just buying a new 82" DLP and Denon receiver. Wife would kick me out of the house real fast.

One day.. Though it helps that the new receiver and speaker layout brought new love for my old speakers so I can hold off a little longer till we "Hopefully" buy a new house and then I can do what your doing and then can justify buying new speakers. heh.. I will say I've been debating selling off my high end computer to fund the new speakers but i'd still prob get slapped hard thinking it.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• txlonghorn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    eclypse wrote: »
    I'd get to work and grab those speakers you are looking at! haha.. That's the same setup I've been lusting over the past couple of weeks but cant even think it after just buying a new 82" DLP and Denon receiver. Wife would kick me out of the house real fast.

One day.. Though it helps that the new receiver and speaker layout brought new love for my old speakers so I can hold off a little longer till we "Hopefully" buy a new house and then I can do what your doing and then can justify buying new speakers. heh.. I will say I've been debating selling off my high end computer to fund the new speakers but i'd still prob get slapped hard thinking it.

Well, here's to hoping you get it sooner rather than later!

But you don't have any concerns about having that system in a room that (if modified with a new partition wall) is only 17 feet x 14 feet?

Thanks again for the feedback -- much appreciated!
  • eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm sure the A5s or A7s would be good in that space but ya know the A9s are sexy and you want them. Hell, ya live once and lifes short... enjoy yourself!

Fingers crossed that a miracle happeneds this spring/summer.. going on 3 years now for house hunting. Wifes too picky. Its really draining on someone with all the ups and downs of finding a house. This small condo is killing my desire for awesome sound and picture.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I would probably try the center layout, plcing the couch at the far wall from that door. I'm not one to ever advocate anybody start adding walls, eliminating openings, etc. Most times you can work with what you have, and achieve great results. By using speaker mounts that allow angled adjustments, you could still position your surround to face 90 degrees from the couch on that angled wall. That should eliminate the need for adding a wall.

I'm sure many would disagree here, A9's are really popular, but I would probably go with the A5's, and duel subs. Set those subs in those 2 corners, and you will probably have more bass than you could imagine. If your heart is set on the A9's though, by all means buy them. Just throwing out another idea that may work just as well.

Welcome to Club Polk.
  • eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'd still go with adding the wall. That would be the best setup IMHO. Its just a single short wall. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. That lower corner door/wall would make adding the rear channel a challenge as one would want the surrounds to the side or the couch, slightly behind the listening position and that wall would cause reflections on that side.

He would also be too close to the picture in layout 1.. like 6 feet from the screen after setting it up unless its a projection screen.

Center layout.. again reflections off that door/wall on the right front speaker.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103

• txlonghorn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks very much, guys. I'm delighted to hear everyone's varied opinions. Sort of validates my own schizophrenia on the issue.

FWIW, I am using a projection screen. So at least I can maximize the viewing distance of any layout.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the one thing everyone agrees on is that the a9s would work (although I certainly understand rpf's point that smaller speakers would work too). As I mentioned earlier, I plan to drive the towers with 200 wpc from an Emotiva -- I just worried that the a9s would be too power hungry or the room would be too small.
  • txlonghorn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks Lasareath. If you went with the first layout, would you use dipoles on the sides or bipoles in the back? Layout 1 was my first plan -- but the source of my original angst was that I worried the four-foot bump from the door would cause nasty interference with the left side of a dipole speaker. So if I went with layout 1, I was thinking about bipoles behind the couch.
    Lasareath wrote: »
    What's wrong with the first layout?, Just because there's a bump because of the door big deal. I'd rather have more open space than closing myself into a smaller space.

That back corner that is open can be used for the Pop-Corn machine or a Bar!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I don't think there is really nothing wrong with either of the first 2 choices, I just think the center is better layout. He wants to use tower speakers, A9's, so their is no way they would sound like they should placed against any wall. They will have to be placed 18 inches to 2 feet forward of the back wall. Looking at the pictures, and just guessing here, that small wall looks about 3 or 4 feet long. Again,just guessing here, the right front will probably be placed 3 feet or so away from that same wall. I don't think that wall will be much of a reflection issue.

The second reason being that this will allow an additional 2 feet of distance between the seating area and front sound stage. I just think it will be beneficial to have that additional space for the A9's to image better. Should the OP plan on an 11.x system in the future, the first layout would obviously be the better choice, but the speaker selection means 5.1 for now. Should he decide to go 7.1, again more room from the back wall for better sound dispersement.

We all know that very few rooms are perfect for sound reproduction, and we work with what we have. The best advise I could givw the OP is to simply set the front mains in each position, play them at reference level, or whatever he is comfortable with, and decide which sounds better for him.
  • txlonghorn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I don't think there is really nothing wrong with either of the first 2 choices, I just think the center is better layout. He wants to use tower speakers, A9's, so their is no way they would sound like they should placed against any wall. They will have to be placed 18 inches to 2 feet forward of the back wall. Looking at the pictures, and just guessing here, that small wall looks about 3 or 4 feet long. Again,just guessing here, the right front will probably be placed 3 feet or so away from that same wall. I don't think that wall will be much of a reflection issue.

The second reason being that this will allow an additional 2 feet of distance between the seating area and front sound stage. I just think it will be beneficial to have that additional space for the A9's to image better. Should the OP plan on an 11.x system in the future, the first layout would obviously be the better choice, but the speaker selection means 5.1 for now. Should he decide to go 7.1, again more room from the back wall for better sound dispersement.

We all know that very few rooms are perfect for sound reproduction, and we work with what we have. The best advise I could givw the OP is to simply set the front mains in each position, play them at reference level, or whatever he is comfortable with, and decide which sounds better for him.

Thanks very much, rpf. Yes, the small wall (with the door) is almost 4'x4'. By my measurements, the right tower would have to go about 2 feet away from the right wall and 2 feet from the back wall so as not to interfere with the sight line of the right-most couch sitter.

I gotta say -- I couldn't be more grateful to the Club Polk community. You guys are great.
  • eclypse
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Wasn't thinking about the side fronts being 2 feet forward.. so with that said I agree he should try the center layout. I'd go for the FXIA6s behind the seating 2'+ above head level in Bipole mode.
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Oppo 103