Center channel voice matching??

Options
marcb515
marcb515 Posts: 8
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hi all,

Ok, just what does center channel voice matching really mean? Does it mean I "Can't" use different brands of speakers in my system?

I currently have a 1988 pair of Cerwin Vega's, with a 12" woofers in them, which produce excellent bass sound. I also have a pair of PSB's for the surrounds. I don't have a center channel, so I have the center channel split netween the Cerwin Vega's. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-DS-747, with 80W/ch (8ohms) and 100W/ch (6 ohms).

My wife wants me to get the Bose Acoustimass 10 system III, but I'm of the older school, and just don't believe you can get the good sound out of those small speakers. I would like to to replace the woffers in my old CW's, but she insists on new speakers.

I mostly use the speakers for music, and also a little HT.

I was looking at the Klipsch RB 35's & RB-75's, and have just started looking into the Polk RTi38's. But those 12" woofers in my CW's really put out some good sound, and I only need to replace the foam surrounds on the woofers.

However, as of now I may have convinced my wife to let me replace the foam on the CW's, and I would like to get a center channel speaker. Space is the issue, and the Bose VCS-10 looks like it will fit nicely.

Any other recommendations for a generic center channel speaker that will work with other brands?

Thank you,
Best regards,....marc
Post edited by marcb515 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Marc,
    Welcome to the forum!

Be careful, buying just speaker puts you not so firmly on the slippery slope, just a little nudge and you'll be careening down hill toward a full blown system upgrade!:eek:

I think you'll find that most of the members here will do their best to steer you away from any Bose purchase.

What type of tweeters do you have in the CW's?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • marcb515
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Frank,

Thank you....

My old (1988) CW's have the following:
    Woofer:12" foam surround paper
    Mid: 6" cone
    Tweeter: 1" high efficiency dome

Thank you,....
    Best regards,....marc
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Knowing the composition of the tweeter would help. Polks tweeters have ranged from trilaminate, to Vifa ring radiators, and everything in between. Keep in mind that Voice (timbre) matching is mostly about tweeters.
  • marcb515
    edited December 2003
    Options
    It just says 1" dome tweeter
    Best regards,....marc
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2003
    Options
    If your tweeters are metal the CS400i might work best, it has a tri-laminate tweeter.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=5&speaker=41&recent=1

If they are a silk/polymertweeter then the CSi40 or the new CSi5 may be right for you.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=5&speaker=183
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=5&speaker=352

I wouldn't recommend the LsiC for a couple of reasons. First off, it's a 4 ohm nominal speaker. Secondly the Vifa ring design, although quite clear and distinct, may sound overly bright compared to your exsisting speakers.

Hopefully some of the other members will put down their cereal bowls this morning and chime in as well!;)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the Club and the wonderful world of WAF... There is one good thing about her wanting the Bose, it gives you a fair budget with which to work.

Rather than fight for your Vega's, consider a pair of RTi38's on stands for mains. They fairly attractive and not too big. Then a Polk center and surrounds are easy picks.

You might try using the CV's as sub's initially. A modest external amp, e.g., a Carver M-1.0t, could power them. A few folks have stacked their trusty old, mains (Doc Spec and his Advents for one) and used them this way.

Oh, and you mentioned the CV's sound good even with the surrounds shot. They won't for long, if you push them. Refoaming them should be a priority.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • marcb515
    edited December 2003
    Options
    My PSB surrounds are in good shape; It's the 12" woofers in the CW's that need refoaming.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the 38's will have newrly the bass of CW's.

I can get a foam kit for $25, and these CW's should last a good while longer.

Best regards,...marc
    Best regards,....marc
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I think we saying the same thing...

Agree that the 38's won't have the base of the "CW's"/ Vega's, but that's why you put the CW's in sub-woofer duty. Later get a powered sub and you're well on the way to a vintage 2 ch rig for a second room...

As for the PSB's, they'll do OK as surrounds for now. Timbre matching is not as critical with surrounds.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD