DACs

Options
Jhayman
Jhayman Posts: 1,548
edited March 2013 in Going Digital
Well my go to Computer store that I use to build custom PC's no not Power Cables, Personal Computers:smile:
They have now started to carry Audio DAC's..
They now carry Jolida FX Tube DAC
Cambridge Audio DAC magic 100 and DAC Magic Plus
and Audiolab M-DAC
Now it looks like I don't have to order from the USA are these Good DAC's or are they bottom end Gear?
ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
Post edited by Jhayman on

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited March 2013
    Options
    No real experience with any of them, but I'll say this: My audio repair guy has a DAC Magic running between his computer and pre and he has an amazing system. I was actually shocked that he was using a DAC Magic based on the rest of his system, but it's a killer system. Would it be better with a better DAC? I guess most would say yes, but...
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Teh Cambridge DACs are good but not my cup of tea personally. I'd be hesitant in buying anything Jolida given some of their issues. That's not to say it's all bad, but you need to do your research and make sure you're not ending up with a problematic product.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Looks like the North Texas area has this issue covered:razz::razz:
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited March 2013
    Options
    My DM plus is outstanding,and very comparable to my cd player!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I use my Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD players as DACs (they tow optical inputs), and I am very happy with their performance.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Well my go to Computer store that I use to build custom PC's no not Power Cables, Personal Computers:smile:
    They have now started to carry Audio DAC's..
    They now carry Jolida FX Tube DAC
    Cambridge Audio DAC magic 100 and DAC Magic Plus
    and Audiolab M-DAC
    Now it looks like I don't have to order from the USA are these Good DAC's or are they bottom end Gear?
    Really a puter store carrying Cambridge and Audiolab DAC's?Interesting.In what region of Canuckistan do you reside?
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You gotta go "Old School" & pick up a CAL Alpha DAC...circa 1995, amazing sound from that puppy. I also have the DacMagic, which is one awesome sounding DAC. But the CAL Alpha DAC is getting top billing right now. I can swap them in & out to change things up a bit.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The Audiolab M-DAC is one bad daddy! I have my eye on this DAC. Other than the Wyred4sound DAC2 it has won more awards than about any other DAC. Some are preferring it over the DAC2 which says a lot. It just won the prestigious EISA (European Image and Sound Association) Award. For other reviews/awards of the M-DAC:
    http://www.audiolab.co.uk/News.aspx?Lang=En&Category=Reviews
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The only region that matters..Toronto:lol:
    www.canadacomputers.com
    FTGV wrote: »
    Really a puter store carrying Cambridge and Audiolab DAC's?Interesting.In what region of Canuckistan do you reside?
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    The only region that matters..Toronto:lol:
    Oh that dump of a town.:razz:I only go there when necessary,like this sat at the Rogers Center.