Soundstream amps

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ive been looking into upgrading my amps lately. Im pretty much decided on either Precision Power or Xtant and leaning heavily towards Xtant.

However I was looking over different articles and such and Soundstream has some damn impressive specs. SNR of greater than 115 db! THD of .02% and damping greater than 500! These are killer!

Now I know specs aint everything but from what little Ive heard and read about them, they are some pretty good sounding amps. Their website is very well done and professionally laid out with beautiful graphics which is a good sign.

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about them.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited December 2003
    I Have a small soundstream amp running 2 10" Kicker subs in my truck. I have had the soundstream for 7yrs now and NEVER had a problem with it and it pounds the hell out of the truck with the 2 10's. I have also ran 2 12" kickers with the same amp and it plays perfectly.
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited December 2003
    SoundStream back in it's glory days put out some legendary amplifiers... in the 90's, the old Reference series, even some true Class A amplifiers (they were chrome, ironically enough :rolleyes: ).. but the references were the real legends.

I believe towards the end of the 90's, SoundStream filed bankruptcy, and they were bought out... but more of a takeover than a financial cushion, and their products took a turn for the worse. I never used any SoundStream of this era.

At some point, ownership changed hands again, and Epsilon Electronics now owns them.
    While the potential for greatness is always there, Epsilon's other brands include PowerAcoustik, Farenheit, and SPL, which is not encouraging in the scope of the greatness that SoundStream enjoyed in the 90's... but possibly this is a strategic move to help establish themselves in the high-end marketplace.
    One never knows.

But if the specs are in-line, and the warranty and pricing is acceptible, I'd say "go for it." ;)