HDMI "handshake" issues

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
edited March 2013 in Electronics
I've been reading about BDP to receiver via HDMI and the handshake issues. My question is how common do those of you who deal with home theater most of the time come across this?

My 13 year old Oinker has been having issues the last year or so with the left or right channels not working at times when watching movies. It usually acts normal after a few cycles of turning it on/off or switching between the different inputs. I know it's on the way out and that I'll have to get something else eventually. I have the audio hooked up via multi-channel and the HDMI running directly to the tv so I've never dealt with the video running through a receiver. In order for me to get another receiver with the multi-channel option is getting into big $ which I might not be able to swing.

I have also read that some receivers don't work well with certain BDP's when it comes to the "handshake".

Any thoughts on this?
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited March 2013
    Options
    What do you consider "big money"? Because it shouldn't be that hard to find an AVR that will let you have it all. What model Onkyo do you have now?
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If it's connected by analog cables and the front right and left keep going out on you, that has nothing to do with HDMI issues. First thing to check is your cables, maybe swap them out. Your receiver as you say is 13 years old so could possibly just need some cleaning inside or deoxit. Get yourself a can of compressed air and a can of deox, pop the top and blow out the dust first. Use the deox on all controls/connections and let dry. Very important to let it air dry before turning on again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think I tried to descibe my problem before. I have no problem w/ sources ,cdp,dock i-pod, i-net radio.When I have problems it's w/ the tv and only the tv. Cablevision is my supplier for both t.v. and my modem.I have never had a problem w/ the modem getting on the i-net and what ever else it's supposed to do .The tv is entirely another story. They went all digital and people w/o boxes now have to get cable boxes for free for a year then they will start to charge, this did apply to me because I had a barely used tv in the bdrm which became even more worthless w/o cable. When they went to all digital they changed their boxes from Scientific Altlantic w/ an ID card needed to be inserted to work.Now they went to a Samsung cable box w/ no ID card and the first few weeks were great no problems .Now all of a sudden those same problems are rearing their respective ugly heads.Delay when changing channels, audio drops out for a second or 2, pixels flashing everwhere.I am so tired of this and there is nothing inside my house that hasn't been changed or upgraded 15times.F-connectors,splitters, boxes,and the actual run around my house that confermed does not have a staple or anything in it. It is an outside feed problem but because it's a field issue installers always make up some bs that it's not their pervue and refer it to maintenance.I'm not allowed to have a Dish here and that has line of sight and weather problems of it's own.So how would you approach this. I have asked for a supervisor who knows tech to comee but they have refused.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited March 2013
    Options
    To the OP:

I've used four different Blu-Ray players over three different AVR's via HDMI and haven't had any issues. I can say that my latest AVR the Onkyo TX-NR1010 takes a bit longer to handshake than my older TX-NR808. The difference is the 1010 has a much better video chipset in it, over the 808.

One advantage to running everything through the AVR is you use it as a single switching device and only need one HDMI connection to the TV.

As far as leftwinger's issues.. when Comcast came out to install new equipment they discovered the drop from the pole to my house was RG59 so they had to re-run everything with RG6. Every now and then I get pixlation, dropped audio, etc. Just part of life for the most part.. If the drop to your house hasn't been touched in a while it could be time for it to be changed.
  • tonyb
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Do you have a HD tv ? HD cable service ? Try any different HDMI cables ?

Most the issues you describe come from trying to incorporate legacy/older gear with the newer technologies.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I've had a couple different AVRs and BDPs, presently running a Pioneer SC-61 and Oppo 103 with no issues (no serious delays or lip-sync problems). If you go to the AVS forums, which sounds like you already have, you will always find some disgruntled people, especially in threads like the Oppo 103. It's a great machine, built for audiophiles to tune to their liking, it's not just a plug and play BDP. And the buyers of these machines are usually quite discriminating and it can take very little to draw a complaint. Just remember when you read these forums, though a few come on to extol the virtues of their equipment, many log on because they have a gripe. Real or imagined, people's complaining seems to out number their contentment. For the few where you read about their troubles, there are likely thousands of happy customers you don't hear from. Human nature I guess. And I like what Tony said about older equipment not meshing well with some of the newer stuff.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It sounds to me more like a connection issue, rather than a handshake issue. I would probably try another cable,even a really cheap one, and maybe popthe top of your AVR, and see if the connector is secure.
  • smglbrth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    First off, by big money, to me, that means anything $1000 and over. Right now I'm using the TX-DS787.

Second, I'm not having any issues right now with HDMI. Only running from the BDP to the TV, never had an issue with that. As far as the cleaning, swapping of cables, etc. (via multi-channel), it's been done.

Newer verses older I understand. Handshake issues I read about usually happen during a movie. That would irritate the hell out of me to the point I'd probably use my 18lb sledge...
  • smglbrth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm using a Yamaha BD-A1010 for the BDP and have no issues with HDMI to tv, no matter how I turn it on. I was thinking of the Yamaha RX-A1010 if I can find one for a decent price since it's the older version of the new 1020. You wouldn't think there would be any issues as far as compatibility with the same company.

I'm well versed with separate pre/amp but since this is my distant second after two channel I'd rather have a receiver doing this job. Maybe I'll look at used. I see the Pioneer that Conradicles has in the for sale forum but shipping would kill it...
  • pdxfj
    pdxfj Posts: 376
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Generally once everything has finished handshaking and running smoothly, you won't lose sync unless something goes wrong. I can't think of a time where a BD movie just dropped picture and/or sound for no reason.

Now if you're reading about the Audio drop issues with specific titles, that is another ball of wax. Titles like Brave, Total Recall and a few others have had issues because of an encoding and/or copyright protection issue. Sony is pulling all their copies of Total Recall back to work on the problem.
  • smglbrth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I just figured if anyone who works with this sort of thing often sees it come up. Soon, I'm afraid, I'll have to get something different and it's nice to be prepared/informed on such matters. I really wish money grew on the tree in the back yard but...
  • tonyb
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Dude, right here

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/3684784972.html

375....but no preouts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • smglbrth
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It's official, the only output that works now is the sub. Played with everything (settings as well), again, to no avail. RIP...

As a side note, thanks Tony but I'm looking for something with analog inputs as well as HDMI, just in case. I'm looking at Marantz and the Yamaha Aventage line. Don't know what peoples recommendations are as most reviews are favorable for both, the Marantz being cheaper. We'll see if Conradicles Pioneer sells before my "second in line" and if it does, then we'll see what I decide.
  • MADGSF
    MADGSF Posts: 603
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I had a similar issue that turned out to be my cables. This was after I had Pioneer check my AVR and Panasonic replaced my BDP, all under warranty thankfully. I run all Audioquest now and never an issue.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K