Question for SDA owners

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited December 2003 in Speakers
I noticed that on all the pics I've seen of SDA rigs, the speakers are placed right against the front wall. Is there a reason for doing this? I know why they can't be toed in but don't know why you place them so close to the wall.

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Bass my friend, bass!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Aaaah:) Thank you my friend.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I should have added that on the later SDA models, they came with a "Bass Brace", which is a threaded bolt. It attaches to the back of the speaker (goes in where the top back bolt is) and then to a wall plate. It is used in place of spikes. I have measured the max. distance to be 18", so perhaps that is why some folks have them close to the back wall. I have mine at 5.5" with the "Bass Brace" installed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Hey F1,
    I looked at the rear of my 1.2tls and there is a screw centered 7" from the top. Is for the base brace? Can the bass brace still be purchased? Has anyone made one using all-thread and a pipe bracket? My 1.2 tls sound great but I want to set them up for the best possible sound. I don't have the SDA owners manual, but know in general how to set them up (but not with the bass brace).
    Thanks
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yes, that is it.

No, it is not sold by Polk anymore.

I don't know.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yeah, what Doro said.

What you need is all-thread the same size as the top bolt and no longer than 18.5", 4 wing nuts (2 for each rod) and some sort of bracket that you can screw into the wall with a threaded hole for the all-thread. Spray it all satin black and you're set.

Set up should be at least 6' apart (inside edge to inside edge), no toe-in and at least 3' from any side wall.

If you've got anymore questions, fire away.

I forgot to mention that if you want to build the AI-1 interconnect (I don't think Har is with us anymore), I have a copy of the plans. Send me your email addy and I'll get them to you.

President of Club Polk

• i4gotmyid
    i4gotmyid Posts: 173
    edited December 2003
    Options
    http://www.cardas.com/cgi-bin/main_content.cgi?area=Insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

Or you can try this, i did this with my room setup, my wife was kind enough to let me put my speakers 6 feet into the room. As long as you make a triangle with your setting you get solid deep extension that sounds awesome.
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Never mind.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"