Help a noob decide: Onkyo HT-S760 HTiB vs Polk RM6600/6700 or component setup?

Options
BoostedA4
BoostedA4 Posts: 10
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Hey all,

I'm an audio noob looking to get into my first home audio setup. Currently, I just use the speakers built into the tv. I'm more looking for the home theater surround setup than for music enjoyment. It will be used for XBOX, DVD's, TV (mainly sports) and CD's. I have a fairly tight budget and really don't wanna go much beyond 800 for speakers + receiver (I know it's not much, but it'll get me started).

Now I've been doing some research, and for awhile I was dead set on the Onkyo HT-S760 home theater. Everyone gives it rave reviews and it can be had shipped to my home for $450 brand new. Although this seems to be perfect for me, many have said I should go to a more component oriented route for future upgrades. That being said, I started looking at polk.

I can purchase the 5 RM6600 satellites for $300 brand new. I figure from there, I could purchase a decent 6.1 receiver (onkyo TX-SR601 for $360) and then work on getting the best deal for a powered Polk Sub, like the PSW303.

I've also started to play around with purchasing two bookshelves, a center channel, two surrounds, and a powered sub in addition to the onkyo receiver. At crutchfield, I can get a nice discount on the sub if I buy $500 of Polk speakers. In going this route, I'm kind of clueless. Would the RTi-38's, CSi30, and FXi30 with the PSW303 be a completely compatible setup? Is there a better (cheaper?) route I could take buying the bookshelf, center channel, and surrounds separately?

To sum up my options, here is what I've come up with:

Onkyo HT-S760 $450
RM6600 satellites, PSW303 sub, Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver $800
RM6700 satellites, PSW303 sub, Onkyto TX-SR601 receiver $1000
RTi28s, CSi30, FXi30, PSW303, Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver ($1100)

Are these setups (especially the bottoom two) really worth all that much more money over the Onkyo HTiB? Although the 6600 can be had for a good deal, could I have better, NEWER, technology for just a tad more? If one speaker goes wrong in the 6600, am I out of luck?

Well, I think this is a little much for post length, sorry, I just have so many questions. Even if you could just answer one, that would be great!
Sorry for the long post, I just really have no idea what direction to take.
Post edited by BoostedA4 on

Comments

• JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Can you audition any of these setups together? in a store maybe.If you can't I would suggest the first choice because it is your intended price, but if you want to spend more the third choice is good. If you save EVEN more you could get some towers. Thats my ".02".
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • mmathis
    mmathis Posts: 7
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I listen to these speakers everyday. I have the Onkyo set at my house and I work at a dealer of both. The onkyo set is good, however since I have done more listening, I would definetly recommend going with the polks. However, if space is not an issue ,instead of the 6600/6700's I would opt for a 202 sub with R20's all the way around, this should be about the same price and will give you much better mid to mid-bass performance.
  • mmathis
    mmathis Posts: 7
    edited December 2003
    Options
    and another thing, get the 501 instead of the 601, not much is gained that you would even use.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    If you are set on a HTIB type setup, mmathis nailed it with the Polk recommendation.

It looks as though you aren't quite concerned with the size/space issue, beings you mentioned the larger bookshelves, etc. You WILL receive a dramatic increase in dynamic response and performance in a more traditional speaker. The main fault of HTIB systems, IMO, is a sub-par midrange performance. The bass response is a given, due to its size....but it depends way too much on the subwoofer for overall performance.

I would defer to mmathis for the 501 vs 601 choice, I know nothing about Onkyo. As far as the other choices, I think you own comment is the best start, RTi28/FXi30/CSi30....BUT perhaps change the subwoofer to the PSW505. I have been told that it is a better performer in the bass category.

RTi28/CSi30/FXi30/PSW505 would be outstanding for HT. Let us know what you decide.

BTW, love the name, A4 owner I presume? I love my Audi almost as much as my stereo...well, actually nowhere close to as much :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.