J River Software

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It would be cool if someone did comparisons on a Windows based PC with Itunes. Most software programs are for Macs, which kinda sucks. Not too many higher fidelity programs for windows. Did I mention that sucks ? :smile:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Well, open mouth insert foot, because I'm changing my tune on JRiver!

It turns out I had some funky EQ settings enabled (even though I never touched those, that's why its not final software yet). I turned all that crap off and voila, perfect beautiful sound! It's still a toss up between JRiver and iTunes+Amarra though:

- Sound between the two is now very similar to my ears.
    - JRemote and the Apple Remote app are both very good, I'd call that a tie as they both do exactly what I need. JRemote has an extra step to set up but no big deal.
    - JRiver even in alpha stage is much more stable than Amarra (although Amarra sounds great I've had continued problems and their support is among the worst I've ever encountered).
    - I still prefer the iTnues layout though and the multimedia keys don't work in JRiver, at least not that I've been able to figure out.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Danny looking forward to listening to your Amarra set up at LSAF. I run JRivers and have been pleased.
    Would like to plug your Amarra into my DAC and do some comparisons.

You still planning on taking that Friday off?

Cheers
    Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    It would be cool if someone did comparisons on a Windows based PC with Itunes. Most software programs are for Macs, which kinda sucks. Not too many higher fidelity programs for windows. Did I mention that sucks ? :smile:
    Yeah, not to mention high-resolution over USB is not a standard feature in Windows and most USB DACs still require drivers to get their best sound.

AFAIK, iTunes uses the Windows audio engine for audio playback. I'm not sure if you can change that to something like ASIO in iTunes, but if you can't then iTunes is compromising your audio quality. The Windows mixer applies dither which by definition makes the signal NOT bit-perfect. Whether or not you can hear it on your system is a different story.

I have my wife's Windows 8 laptop beside me that I need to work on today (did I mention that I hate Windows?). When I get it back up and running I'll download JRiver and do some comparing and give you my impressions. I actually need to do this anyway because I'm taking this computer to LSAF where a few of us want to do some comparisons between the two platforms.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Danny looking forward to listening to your Amarra set up at LSAF. I run JRivers and have been pleased.
    Would like to plug your Amarra into my DAC and do some comparisons.

You still planning on taking that Friday off?

Cheers
    Ron
    OK, that's funny that we were posting the same thing at the same time...

Yeah I'm taking that Friday off, staying Friday and Saturday night
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great I get in town late Wednesday, going to set up Thursday run out to Rockwall till noon then chill. Also, going to run out to Halens and listen to his new Ushers.

Somewhere in the mix hope to get Skippers gear in Thurs or Friday morning.

I already have both mine and Skips rooms, so you are more than welcome to bring your gear down early and start playing around till your rooms available.

When I arrive I will try to coordinate our rooms on the 3rd floor maybe take a corner area so the big boys at the show can have the other rooms around the Atrium for there banners.

Any thoughts?...Please chime in

Should be fun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I actually booked two rooms as well, would be good if we can get all 4 in one of the corners somewhere.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Well, open mouth insert foot, because I'm changing my tune on JRiver!

It turns out I had some funky EQ settings enabled (even though I never touched those, that's why its not final software yet). I turned all that crap off and voila, perfect beautiful sound! It's still a toss up between JRiver and iTunes+Amarra though:

- Sound between the two is now very similar to my ears.
    - JRemote and the Apple Remote app are both very good, I'd call that a tie as they both do exactly what I need. JRemote has an extra step to set up but no big deal.
    - JRiver even in alpha stage is much more stable than Amarra (although Amarra sounds great I've had continued problems and their support is among the worst I've ever encountered).
    - I still prefer the iTnues layout though and the multimedia keys don't work in JRiver, at least not that I've been able to figure out.

Try the Theater view of JRemote. It is incredible and turns your iphone/ipad into a touch pad to move the cursor around your monitor. Album art is dynamically loaded into the background of whatever artist you scroll over. It is sick. I was an Apple fan to the core until I built my own music server and loaded JRiver.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I was all set to buy JRiver after my 30 day trial expired but it seems my phone number is a required field in the order form even though I am paying with PayPal? Also, it appears there is no way to contact them? Nowhere is there a contact phone or email address for support? What's up with that?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    Options
    screw it...I just put in a bogus #. Screwy company though, IMO :^ /
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones