Dilemma...Help

Options
RVJII
RVJII Posts: 167
edited December 2003 in Electronics
I have another post in the speaker section where I was asking for advice on a possible bi-amp solution for my RTi12's. (RTi12 Power) Anyway, I have been looking into exact specs in order to see if I could work it out and guess what I found out. Hidden in my manual for my Onkyo I discover that it is rated at 110 into 8 ohms with only 2 channels driven. Needless to say that I am rather upset because Onkyo did not have this on their website or in any literature. In fact, they led me to believe that it was with all channels driven.

Anyway, here is my delimma. I have $1500 invested in this receiver already. It has a network capability that is VERY nice, allowing me to use my home LAN and a few large hard drives to hold / access my entire CD collection at the push of a button.

Do I just cut my losses now, sell it and start over? If so, I was looking at using an Adcom GFA5802 ($1500) for my mains and a GFA 5503 ($1100) for my center/surrounds. Of course, then I'll need a pre/pro as well.

OR

Do I use the Onkyo as my pre/pro (plus network capability) and for my center/surrounds and pick up a couple of Outlaw M-Blocks ($299 each) for my mains?

OR

Do I just replace the whole thing with an Outlaw rig 950/755 combo for $2000? Also, if I did this I'd think about getting the M-Blocks sometime down the line and bi-amping the mains with the 755.

I guess that I am looking for the best way to correct this error. I'd prefer to spend the least amount possible but also appreciate long run implications. (ie. Will I eventually replace the Onkyo anyway and I'll get more for it now, etc.)

Any advice is welcome. I am starting to think that my purchase of the Onkyo was a bit premature and based on some bad input from an "expert" friend.
A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...
Post edited by RVJII on

Comments

• Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited December 2003
    Options
    If you plan on parting with the Onk in the near future anyway why waste yout time and money "Patching" the system together?
    If your willing to part with the cash then upgrade right from the start and build from there.
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140