Searching for sugarman

Options
scottyboy76
scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
edited May 2013 in The Clubhouse
Incredible story of a mexican-american man, born in detroit, who made 2 albums in america in 1970 and 71 that some consider almost the equal of dylan.

They never went anywhere, he eventually lived in a madmax section of detroit, occasionaly finding work doing back breaking construction work (cleaning out old houses of copper for instance), barely scraping along, suffering from health problems including going virtually blind.

A girl visited her relatives in south Africa, bringing along a copy of one of his albums, and as people heard and taped them his music spread, eventually selling hundreds of thousands of copys, of course, the money never made it to the artist.

Eventually, he was as common as any artist in the collections of people in SA, an urban legend began that he had met a tragic end in a fire, as well as others.

Well, at some point, he was found in detroit, toured south africa, and now, pretty much the world.

What i have heard of his music, it is quite distinctive and deserving of a listen.

Sixty minutes also did a piece not only of Sixto Rodriguez(real name), but of documentarian and the doc.

Fascinating story that would be laughed at if put into a movie,and music worth checking out.

P.S., i never posted anything about this because i figured it had been brought up, but after searching just now, could find nothing, please disregard if this is due to my subpar skill.
humpty dumpty was pushed
Post edited by scottyboy76 on

Comments

• CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Scotty - I rented the movie and really enjoyed the story and his music. BTW, nobody laughed at the Oscars when it won best documentary :wink:
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yeah I saw the sixty minute piece, very nice story.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I agree. This was an excellent documentary and worthy of it's Oscar award. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely well worth the watch.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I loved that movie. The story is awesome, and especially the reception he got when he was went to South Africa and performed for the first time was amazing.
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Just watched this movie. I was blown away! If you havent seen this I highly recommend it. Just wow! What a Story!!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • Timothy Smith
    Timothy Smith Posts: 764
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Highly recommended.

It's one of those movies where truth is truly stranger than fiction. If someone made this story up you would not believe it.

Another great music related documentary is "Theremin".

We are fortunate that someone heard a fragment about these stories or "myths", decided to pursue the stories and kept digging, and then made a documentary movie to share and preserve the story.

Any other suggestions?
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • custopper30
    custopper30 Posts: 252
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Maybe I will have to go check out this movie now...
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    We just watched this on Netflix tonight - amazing story. Can't believe this was posted 5 years ago... Now I'm trying to find some of his music.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,977
    Options
    Got some tunes of his from Amazon right after I saw the movie.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.