Music Streaming Problem: Computer or Windows?

Options
Devlon
Devlon Posts: 355
edited February 2013 in Going Digital
Computer or Windows Problem?

I purchased an Asus netbook mostly for streaming music from sites such as Pandora, Mog, Spotify, etc. I have it connected to my Sherwood R-972 via HDMI. From the Sherwood the TV is connected via HDMI. But no matter which streaming service I am using after about 12 minutes the TV screen goes out, and the sound through the Sherwood stops, and the sound only plays through the netbooks own speakers which it will continue to do until you stop it. To resume sound and video through the AVR and TV you simply have to touch a key, or touch pad on the netbook. It resumes for another 12 minutes through the system and then you have to touch the netbook again to resume. Then after 12 minutes it's the same all over again. BTW, the screen saver on the netbook (Windows 7) is set to never sleep, and therefore it never does.

As an experiment a friend of mine brought over their Asus tablet that we hooked up via HDMI into the same HDMI "in" on the Sherwood that the netbook was plugged into. No problem. The music and TV display continued until we finally switched it off. We tried several different HDMI "ins" on the Sherwood just to be sure. Again, no problem with sound and video cutting off.

I can't find much about this problem online except as it pertains to Apple OS. A couple of people online seemed to think this was a Windows thing in that windows was not that good at handling streaming music. I don't know it they are correct, or if it is a problem with Windows using HDMI, or what? I don't have an external DAC that I can experiment via USB so I don't know if that would make any difference. All I know is that the Asus Tablet (Android of course) had no hiccups, or time outs on sound and video. Anyone have any ideas on what this problem could be?
Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
Post edited by Devlon on

Comments

• Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Obviously there is a timeout that is being reached, somewhere. Is there anything going on video-wise while the music is playing? If not, try changing that. Turn on visualizations on your media player, or actually let the PC go into screensaver mode so that there is moving video being sent over the HDMI.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Hi Syndil, and thanks for your suugestions. What you said made sense, so I tried it. But it still dis the same thing.

Update:

Well, I finally figured out the problem. Originally, I was trying to change the power settings, screen saver settings, etc., in the usual places in the Control Panel. But, nothing I tried helped to keep the sound/screen from turning off after approx. 12 minutes through my HT system. It appears that Windows 7 in this Asus Netbook is slightly more advanced than the Windows 7 OS that is in my 2 year old Toshiba laptop. In the netbook's Control Panel>Power Settings, you have 3 choices for your power management plan.I did not realize that within each of the 3 plans there is a sub menu that allows for additional screen saver, sleep, display options. Also, each of the 3 power plans are independent in that the setting that you change in 1 setting does not apply to the other 2. Anyway, there in was the problem! The netbook was set to time out on A/C power after 12 minutes, and 15 minutes on battery power. This extra sub menu is not available on the earlier Windows 7 OS that is on my 2 year old Toshiba, so I had no idea it was there. Well, "I learn me sumpin'!" as they say here in Kentucky!
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151