Dust Covers

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
edited February 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I was just wondering if any of you used dust covers on your equipment. And, if you do, what do you use?

For years I've fought with dust, mainly with amps/receivers, and would rather not deal with it anymore. I do dust my equipment but the "innerds" are another story.

I have found a few places on line for this but it's mainly special order for size. Even the generic ones I find seem to be a bit pricey, IMO.
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited February 2013
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I was just wondering if any of you used dust covers on your equipment. And, if you do, what do you use?

For years I've fought with dust, mainly with amps/receivers, and would rather not deal with it anymore. I do dust my equipment but the "innerds" are another story.

I have found a few places on line for this but it's mainly special order for size. Even the generic ones I find seem to be a bit pricey, IMO.

Well amps and AVR's need to breathe so honestly you dont really have a lot of choices for covers that you can leave on 24/7. If its really that big a deal and you dont care if it looks FUGLY look at some magnetic 120mm computer fan filters and place those over all the places your amp/AVR has holes for airflow. Thats about the best you can do.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2013
    Options
    You can always take the cover off and use a can of compressed air to blow all the dust out every couple of years. I have some stuff that are 10+ years old but not much dust inside.
    One thing I do when I rotate my equipment is use saran wrap on whatever gear that won't be used in a long time. Though you have to becareful with this because it left marks on one of my amps. I was able to clean it off with a lightly damp towel.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2013
    Options
    organ wrote: »
    One thing I do when I rotate my equipment is use saran wrap on whatever gear that won't be used in a long time. Though you have to becareful with this because it left marks on one of my amps. I was able to clean it off with a lightly damp towel.

Trash bag or paper bag works too :biggrin:, especially if its an ugly piece of gear :evil:..... hmmm.... wonder if that has other real world applications :biggrin:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Trash bag or paper bag works too :biggrin:, especially if its an ugly piece of gear :evil:..... hmmm.... wonder if that has other real world applications :biggrin:

LOL Never thought of that. Definitely much cheaper than a roll of saran wrap:cheesygrin:.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2013
    Options
    LOL Never thought of that. Definitely much cheaper than a roll of saran wrap:cheesygrin:.

And easier to stick in a corner incognito so as not to draw attention from the significant other :biggrin::evil:
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    And easier to stick in a corner incognito so as not to draw attention from the significant other :biggrin::evil:

Ha ha. Better hope she doesn't open up one of those bags while you're at work:razz:. I know a dude who can't even sneak in anything bigger than a shoe box without the wife noticing lol.
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Ha ha. Better hope she doesn't open up one of those bags while you're at work:razz:. I know a dude who can't even sneak in anything bigger than a shoe box without the wife noticing lol.

LOL, well right now I am working on collecting some gear as I go but not nearly to the extent most folks here are. I am still getting my feet wet so to speak, so lots of buying, selling and flipping going on now. As long as stuff doesnt stick around never used she doesnt mind (and I put it where company doesnt see it)....

When we get a house I will get my own larger space (and lots of other smaller places to hide things) :biggrin:
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited February 2013
    Options

He, he, that's me as well. Anyway, the cover wouldn't stay on unless I'm using the equipment. On/Off, Off/On, kind of reminds me of the "wax on wax off". I've always been a big fan of letting equipment breathe and never could figure out why some try to stick audio into some of the tightest places possible...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    LOL, well right now I am working on collecting some gear as I go but not nearly to the extent most folks here are. I am still getting my feet wet so to speak, so lots of buying, selling and flipping going on now. As long as stuff doesnt stick around never used she doesnt mind (and I put it where company doesnt see it)....

When we get a house I will get my own larger space (and lots of other smaller places to hide things) :biggrin:

That's brilliant! The magic closet he he. I get the feeling that if I ever get married, I will remember your post:biggrin:.
    smglbrth wrote: »
    He, he, that's me as well. Anyway, the cover wouldn't stay on unless I'm using the equipment. On/Off, Off/On, kind of reminds me of the "wax on wax off". I've always been a big fan of letting equipment breathe and never could figure out why some try to stick audio into some of the tightest places possible...

Yeah, always good to let your stuff breathe. I think a lot of people stick their gear into tight spaces because it looks nicer. I like setting the pre on top of the amp. Not ideal but it looks nice when they match. Not something I would do with Class A amps however.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Obligatory Digital Deck Covers mention: http://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited February 2013
    Options
    There's also radiodustcovers.com. I was going to leave my equipment exposed in my livingroom until you know who decided differently. I ended up with a Triple thirty Salamander audio rack. I spoke to this gentleman and I thought his prices where reasonable for custom covers with logo embroidery. He's retired and him and his wife do this as a hobby. He would even leave cut outs in the rear for cable connections. For me, it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper for dust covers.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Obligatory Digital Deck Covers mention: http://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/

This looks perfect for my new tube mono blocks. Thanks!