SDA 2 Questions

Options
Dingusboy
Dingusboy Posts: 2
Hi all,

I was referred here from the friendly folk at AudioKarma.

I just purchased a pair of SDA 2's at a local auction for $200 and need some help with a couple questions.

1. it appears a tweeter may be bad. Ebay? or are their other options.

2. What are the specs on these. Impedance and sensitivity are the main specs I'm interested in. I would like to know if tube amplification is doable down the line.

I'm very excited to get them hooked up (came with the SDA cable) and give a listen after all the good things I've heard about the SDA line.

Thanks,

Brad
Post edited by Dingusboy on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, Dingus.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2003
    Options
    If you do in fact have SDA 2 model, here are your specs.

2 SL2000 Tweeters

3 6501 6 1/2" Mid-Drivers

1 SW120 12" Passive Radiator

Weight: 80lbs.

Frequency Response: 16hz-26khz

Rec. Amplification: 10-500 wpc

Impedence: 4 ohms

Efficiency: 92db

Manufactured: 1982-1985

Pull one or two, of your drivers out, and let us know the date on it to confirm your model. Or see if a date of manufacture is on the rear, on a sticker perhaps.

You could look on Ebay for an SL2000....but expect to always be searching for parts eventually. Just buy the new replacement model tweeter, a pair, and move on.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    You could look on Ebay for an SL2000....but expect to always be searching for parts eventually. Just buy the new replacement model tweeter, a pair, and move on.

And even though you are a new Club Polk member...ALL Club Polk members get a nice discount when you buy directly from Polk (not to metion the help and customer service are first class).

BTW, welcome to the fourm.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Great speakers at a great price even with the bad tweeter.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Ditto the above welcomes and congrats on your find...

Helen Yarbor, the Polk part lady, will send you the SL2000T replacement for ~$42 a piece, slightly more if you're in one of the states where they must charge tax.

As doro stated you'll want to buy two because the sound is not identical to the originals. Russman and others like the newer T's better. They say they sound smoother.

You can peddle your good 2000 here if you like.

Do be aware that the stock SDA IC requires you to use a common ground amp to drive them. Most, but not all, amps are common ground design.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Brad,

Ditto the welcome.

The real question is do you have the SDA 2 or the SDA SRS 2 or the SDA 2A or the SDA 2B? Describe the driver layout or better yet, post a pic.

Edited for brain ****.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Stock EYE-C (IC) as in the stock SDA cable you crackpot.

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Let me go back and edit my post. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited December 2003
    Options
    F1 - Have another brain **** and read closer to the top of the thread....sheesh, you old people ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Dingusboy
    Dingusboy Posts: 2
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I'm havin' some username dejavu goin' on here, the screen is different but the names are the same,

I have a camera but not the speakers, my buddy has them at his house but if memory serves me well the layout is as follows:

Top to bottom:

1 tweeter in the middle

2 mids side by side

one funky looking woofer in the middle

They are labled left and right and just SDA 2

and in case someone asks:D

The cabinets are grilled over on 3/4 of the unit.

The wood that peaks from the top and bottom is in very good shape aside from age, Formbys should make em shine.

BTW have you seen my new Lector CDP?
    :rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    LOL.....yeah same names, different world.

You have, without a doubt the SDA 2B (not the SDA 2, Doro) and that funky woofer is a 12" passive radiator.

Specs:
    Freq. Response: 15Hz to 26,000kHz
    -3dB Limits: 38Hz to 20,000kHz
    Power Handling: 30 to 350wpc
    Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
    Efficiency: 89.7 dB
    Made: 1987 to 1990
    Weight: 80lbs.

One SL2000 Tweeter
    One MW6503 Regular Driver
    One MW6511 SDA Driver
    One SW121 Passive Radiator
    Crossover BE1807-B

Hope that helps.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited December 2003
    Options
    F1 - No shite. I said if he "in fact" had the SDA2....then those were his specs, and asked for further information. I never said he "had" them.

It wasn't until his current post that it became clear what he owned.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2003
    Options
    "It wasn't until his current post that it became clear what he owned."

Agreed! Man, you are having a bad day, aren't you. Hope tomorrow is better, bro.

President of Club Polk