extra midrange

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
okey - i just installed mm6's off a c300.2, and they're great, except the highs totally overpower the mids. i'm not sure what the crossovers are set at (i had it professionally installed, i'll dig them out in a day or two), but i'm pretty sure i can turn the tweeter down. barring that, is there a way to add more midrange to my setup? i know that mbquart sells 'add-a-woofer' 6-1/2's; does polk do the same? any other suggestions? btw, i don't have subs yet, but i know i won't get bass out of these things, so i'm not worried about that.
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 28
    edited December 2003
    Adding a midrange will likely cause more problems than it solves. Even if you could find an exact match to the MM6 midbasses, you would have to either build your own low-pass filter for them, or try running them in parallel @ 2-ohms with the other mids - which will mess up your crossover frequency.

The MM6's should be more than adequate if setup properly. I would definitely recommend trying the -3 dB tweeter attenuation setting before trying to add any more speakers to your system.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2003
    certainly i'll look at the crossovers first; but if i were to run extra mids, i'd do it off a seperate amp entirely. now that i think about it, would adding a matched mid overpower the tweeters then? and if i were to do that, would i have to add more sub power than i originally planned (remember i dont have them yet, still saving) to make it sound balanced?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 28
    edited December 2003
    Where do you have your woofers and tweeters mounted? If they are far apart, you may also want to try the "midrange extension" switch to see if that helps.

If the tweeters are mounted in the dash or high in the doors, then attenuating the tweeter will likely help things tremendously.
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    certainly i'll look at the crossovers first; but if i were to run extra mids, i'd do it off a seperate amp entirely. now that i think about it, would adding a matched mid overpower the tweeters then?

If you did run another set of MM6 mids off of a different amp, you could adjust the gains until you got the balance you wanted.
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    and if i were to do that, would i have to add more sub power than i originally planned (remember i dont have them yet, still saving) to make it sound balanced?

It just depends how much power you are running to your subs already. Typically you adjust the gains on your sub amp to get a nice blend with your component speakers. So, providing you have enough power for the sub in the first place, that should not be a problem.

If turning the gains up sent the sub amp into clipping before a good balance was achieved, then you would want to consider adding more power.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Bose.
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2003
    i can't get at where the shop put my crossovers (they're under the rear seat) so I'll have them move the crossovers to a better spot; thanks for your help