kenwood KA-72B

Options
seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited February 2013 in Electronics
Is this worth it? just found it for 13 bucks so i grabbed it without knowing, real dusty but pretty nice shape, everything is there, cleaned it up with a dust off can and some deoxit, looks a lot better. The specs i found online put it at 70W rms @8, bout 100W @4, and its 16 capable, but i dont think i will ever use that. any experience with this amp? would it benefit my 5.1 to drive the fronts with this? i have a Yammy rx-v 765 pushing 95 RMS @ 2 driven, 8 ohm, so thats gonna be like 65 for 5 channels, right? first time ever even seeing an amp was this one, saw a few crowns while i was out shopping, but asnt about to drop 15+ for an amp right now. any input would be good, thanks guys.
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
Post edited by seabeerob213 on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wow. 16 ohms capable. A beast.
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 718
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Do you think it would do 32? :)
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I doubt there would be an improvement in home theater and you would be losing power in stereo . I personally wouldn't use it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I am unfamiliar with this model; I assume it is later (post-1980) but I know nothing about it. I'd expect it to be an OK performer.

oh, here's a little bit about it. Yeah, looks like nothing to write home about; but probably OK. Set expectations low. Probably worth $13 if it works and is in good physical shape (how could it not be worth pizza money?)...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240580

EDIT: Let's see if we can hotlink to the photo shown in the AK thread...

CIMG6827.jpg
    http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/analog_addict/CIMG6827.jpg
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2013
    Options
    $13 is okay as a garage receiver or something like that. Maybe it came out of a rack system.

Around 1989, my supervisor got a listen to four RTA11t's which I was driving with a Carver 150 receiver through a Dynaco Quadaptor. Sounded great. When he got a load of what I paid for the RTA's (brand new in boxes from the BX, $290 for the first pair and $278 for the second pair with "$330 EACH" BX stickers all over each box) he had to have a pair for his own sammy. He was married to a Scottish lady at the time. He had to shop around before he could spend around $300 for a pair of brand new RTA11t's. He called me on a Sunday from outside a hi-end shop he was just in (Toms River, NJ). His wife was finally convinced when the salesman couldn't sell them a pair of RTA8 for the same $300, no less a pair of 11t's. The next day as soon as the BX opened we went over. It went bad when later down the road he picked up a Pioneer surround receiver. He wasn't going to use the surround mode so it really didn't matter, but underneath the surround speaker terminals was this warning, "Minimum 16 Ohm Speakers". Nowhere in the product literature did it specify this, nor on the outside of the box/shipping carton. So whose got a pair of 16 ohm spkrs laying around? I would venture to say that at the time you could probably order a pair of 16 ohm speakers directly from the good old Pioneer accessory catalog.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited February 2013
    Options
    it doesnt sound bad with my monitor 30's, really hard to dial in my pro-monitor 800's though, liked it to run 4 channels in stereo from my 3490, not bad for a stereo HT 4.1, in a big room with an open wall, a half wall open to the stairs, and a hallway, as well as not being able to set up the speakers properly. It is a 1085 and part of a rack system. the other three parts were there, but i dont want or need them. Thought this would be fun, may pick up that passive 1980's polk sub on the CL for 25 bucks i saw last week, would be cool to own.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • tpeters648
    tpeters648 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had this model for 37 years and it just crapped out about an hour ago.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Well, I'm sure our dear deceased Mr. Grand will be along shortly to give you his opinion.