Thom - suggestions ??? Old Blue lives -- hide your daughters!

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
He's been gone for two long years... far too long for me to bear.

But, alas, god bless my wonderful grandparents who have offered to help the cause.

We're making room in the garage... (2 1/2 car... has the cadillac in there now... gonna throw out the ****, get a shed for the utilities, and make room for this guy) for my old friend -- 1988 (yes 88) standard cab D150 Dodge Ram 'workspecial' pickup.

- 8 ft bed.
- 15" steelie rims.
- Mopar Slant Six 3.9L engine.
- detuned Mopar 727 Torqueflite automatic transmission.
- Twilight (dark navy) Blue with pearl coat and Electric Powder Blue pin stripe.

It needs a lot of work last I knew, but I care not... it needs me... I need it. I miss it -- a lot -- its pathetic.

However... once I get all the mechanical work -- well maybe half of it -- ok fk it... before I do any mechanical work... (lol) the following audio is my first choice for installation...

now before I tell u, keep in mind the two systems this truck used to have.

1- Kenwood 309S head / 4 Polk original DB series 6x9's (behind the seat upward firing) / Optimus 400XL 4 channel amp.

2- Alpine CDA-7863 head / 2 Polk DX 6x9's behind the seat up firing / 2 Polk DX 6x9's in a custom center console in front / 2 Polk DX 10" subs behind the seat forward firing / MTX 500D / Optimus 400XL

now I've got the following ideas floating through my head... which one will it be... I WANT VOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!

1- do the original #1 system for sentimentality sake... I still have the optimus amp in my grandfather's truck, and if i buy him a new amp I can take it... then either find 4 OLD DB 6x9's or preferably go with 4 of the new MOMO Carbon 6x9's behind the seat just like before ... with a much nicer new Kenwood or Alpine top of the line head.

2- new alpine or KW head / polk momo 6.5" component set up front (gonna take some work in the **** **** old doors - John, feel like making me some friggin fiberglass or bondo "door cups" so when i put the woofers in the doors they dont friggin get drenched with rain and **** ?- this **** leaks...) / power the comp set with an MTX Blue Thunder Pro 150x2 with any of the following sub combinations.

---- A - four polk momo 8" subs downfiring behind the seat (or upfiring... gotta figure out which will acoustically sound better) with say an MTX Blue Thunder Pro 300x2 pushing them (750 x 1 at 4 ohms... it'll do more than the rating though -- so about 200 per sub).

---- B - single polk momo 124 with a Blue Thunder Pro 150x2 (450 - 500 x 1 bridged) on it -- or hell the damned 300x2 on it!

---- C - single polk momo 2124 (baby momo) with the BT 150x2 on it.

---- D - dual polk baby momo 2104's with (dare i say) an MTX 500D *yes the factory outlet still has them!!* on it.

3 - the above but with maybe like momo 5" coaxials for the rear or momo 6x9's for rear... help!!! need advice -- i really value the "rear bassyness" of 6x9's when u put a small port hole in the enclusure you put them in -- that **** frigign used to make my **** DEAF.

************ side note -- NOW I NEED "GO N DEF 2" plates for it!!!!!!!!!!! or maybe "GONE DEF " ********************

... and i'm sorry to my newly loved company, Image Dynamics, but I PROMISED Old Blue that I'd get him a set of momo's way back in the day, and I never did... and god dammit, he deserves his momo's!!!! so he's getting them!!!!!!!

note - i really want to try and stick with mtx blue thunder amps.... the silver casings with blue and gold accents really will compliment the truck ... they're also rock solid amps that i can get very cheap factory rebuilt, and since he's "old blue" i thought "blue thunder" was appropriate. but if you guys have any other really good amp suggestions that'd fit into this mold and its something that I'm familiar with and won't be difficult for me to deal with, then please suggest... just keep in mind, whatever goes in Old Blue better be bulletproof.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• delvryboy
    delvryboy Posts: 62
    edited December 2003
    i am not Thom....but here's my .02

a rendition of version 1 & 2

either HU(i can not vote properly since i am a die hard pioneer fan)

4 6x9's in the rear and 2 in the center console:D

all ovals baby....make people **** without a sub
    Post ****

2003 MECA M2/MR2/DB1 IL State Record Holder/Champion

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    delvry boy...what pioneer do you have running now?
    pbd, id go with the dual 2104s, mm components up front, and could you still fit 2 6x9s somewhere?
    -Cody
  • delvryboy
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    delvry boy...what pioneer do you have running now?
    pbd, id go with the dual 2104s, mm components up front, and could you still fit 2 6x9s somewhere?
    -Cody
    premier 640.....i have a premier 750 in transient....i wanted to stay away from the 850 because it is basically the same deck as the 750(feature wise)...but with extra moving parts to fail....pockets are tight so no 950 for me:(
    Post ****

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    thats cool, i have the pioneer premier 940, it was $550 at electronicscity.com, with full 3 yr pioneer warranty
    nice to have some more diehard pioneer guys in here
    lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    i could fit 4 momo's 6x9's across the back and still do components up front or **** do 6x9's in the doors -- i just dont want a console again -- no "hey baby move over here" room -- lololol.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    i need help tho - finding it is becomign difficult -- i ran carfax but it says the last time it was registered was when I registered it msyelf in 2001 after grandfather signed title over to me... this is gonna be a **** to find...

anyone know how to track down a truck by its VIN number ???
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    you dont even have it yet?
    lol
    i thought u already had it
    as far as tracking, i wouldve told ya the carfax thing, you cant talk to the guy you sold it to, then track it down from there?
    what ya going to do with 2 trucks?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    How about a "less is more"system.

*Alpine head unit (doesnt matter which since they all RULE!)

*MM6 comps bi-amped about 75 RMS per component (300 RMS total)

*MM2124 12" sub, in a sealed box downfiring getting 300-400 RMS

As far as amps, Ill just give you my favorites in order.

Xtant 4.4 (50x4 $550) + 6.1 (300x1 class D $550)
    PPI PCX480 (80x4 $600) + PCX280 (320x1 bridged $400)
    JL Audio 300/4 (75x4 $500) + 300/2 (300x1 bridged $450)
    Kicker KX600.4 (75x4 $500) + KX 400.2 (400x1 bridged $500)

Going with less components allows you to have top of the line speakers and leaves you cash to splurge on top end amps.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • delvryboy
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    How about a "less is more"system.

*Alpine head unit (doesnt matter which since they all RULE!)

*MM6 comps bi-amped about 75 RMS per component (300 RMS total)

*MM2124 12" sub, in a sealed box downfiring getting 300-400 RMS

As far as amps, Ill just give you my favorites in order.

Xtant 4.4 (50x4 $550) + 6.1 (300x1 class D $550)
    PPI PCX480 (80x4 $600) + PCX280 (320x1 bridged $400)
    JL Audio 300/4 (75x4 $500) + 300/2 (300x1 bridged $450)
    Kicker KX600.4 (75x4 $500) + KX 400.2 (400x1 bridged $500)

Going with less components allows you to have top of the line speakers and leaves you cash to splurge on top end amps.
    imo...while that would be a great setup....it is missing that zing that that truck deserves....something different...yah know?...4 ported 6x9's behind your seat tryin' to rip your head off:D
    Post ****

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by delvryboy
    imo...while that would be a great setup....it is missing that zing that that truck deserves....something different...yah know?...4 ported 6x9's behind your seat tryin' to rip your head off:D

Oh I agree with you 100%. Ya gotta have something original. Thats kind of why I suggested the "less is more" avenue. It seems like nowadays most people are all about bass and 20 kilowatt amps.

The best system I ever heard in my life was at a contest in Dallas. It was a 01 Silverado 1500HD crew cab. He had Focal 6 1/2 comps in the front kicks, and in the back, a pair of Focal 5 1/4 mids only, no tweets. Under the rear seat he had a single JL Audio 10W6 in a ported box. Amps were a Phoenix Gold Titanium 500.4 and a PG Titanium 400.2. 75X4 to the mids/highs and 400 to the sub. Dude it was the sweetest, cleanest and most accurate system Ive ever heard. But it could also break bad when it needed to and put out some serious Dbs. I left before the judging so I dont know how he did. I was pulling for him tho cause he was the only competitor in a pickup truck!

Since then, Ive been sold on the idea that, if done right, a little can go a long way. And its cool cause it doesnt seem to be all that popular these days! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    got ahold of the guy last night -- he only paid 1,650 for it 2 1/2 years ago -- i offered him almost 3,500 -- that's how bad i want it.

and i've been lookin at zapco amps too -- maybe a 150 x 2 and 750 x 1 --- that, a single momo 124 and a momo comp set would only cost me 1,400 bucks... all new.

still i am leaning toward the 4 6x9's.... argh!...

lets hope he bites on 3,500 -- he's calling me back this week.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    how do the Image Dynamics CXS6 components match up with the momos?
    looking at the specs, the momos go down to 50Hz compared to the ID 60, but that doesnt matter since i cut mine off at 100
    sensitivity is 91 for the IDs, 87 for the MMs
    same power handling
    what advantages of the horn loaded compression driver other than being louder does that have over a standard one?
    is it as clear?
    will 4ohm components sound better than 2 ohm components?
    is there a difference in sound or is it the same?
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2003
    I'm pretty narrow minded as far as system layouts. I like a component (or coax) set up front, and subs. In my wife's old Civic I've got MMC525's in the kicks and a single MM2124 in the hatch. Zapco C2K1.0 bridged to each kick and C2K3.0 bridged to the sub. Very simple but I'm happy with it. If you're running surround of course you'll need a center channel and rear fill. If you're not getting any product in the very near future you could wait for the MMC components in a couple/ few months. They'll have the same mids as the coax's, a better outboard crossover, and likely a different tweeter. They'll probably sound at least as good as the MM6's for a little less money (but don't quote me yet since they're not officially done yet).
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by Thom
    If you're not getting any product in the very near future you could wait for the MMC components in a couple/ few months. They'll have the same mids as the coax's, a better outboard crossover, and likely a different tweeter. They'll probably sound at least as good as the MM6's for a little less money (but don't quote me yet since they're not officially done yet).

... well HAH! i quoted u (sorta) lol...

i will not be buying anything for at least 2 - 4 months... hell dunno if i can even get the rig until then. if i can then maybe sooner.

but one note on speakers --- I AM STAYING ALL POLK MOMO --- no iffs ands or buts about it... I promised that truck momo... its getting momo, period. there may be better stuff for the application out there, but its a nostalgic thing... besides... polk ain't exactly a bad thing guys... c'mon.

thom, you think 4 6x9's behind the seat ported out with a component set up front and maybe four of the polk 8 " subs downfiring (build a box for behidn the seat to house the 4 6x9's upfiring and the 4 8's downfiring) would be a cool deal? would it make people **** themselves?

and are the zapco reference amps "all that and a bag of chips" ?? or should i stick with more mid grade stuff ??
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    that system would be bad **** man...
    4 subs and 4 6x9s...
    as far as zapco, thom will know, i think thats what he runs in his car
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    ... well here's the deal.

It is winter, and he doesn't want to "switch" cars on his son in mid-winter and leave him with something possibly unreliable, so as of like spring (figure early march), it is mine.

i'm meeting him this weekend to draw up a contract and finalize it, put down a deposit, and set for title transfer at some point in spring.

It's costing me twice what I sold it for, but I'm gettin my baby back.

... dual 2 1/4 inch exhaust, no catalytic converters, no mufflers... best way to make a 6 cylinder sound like a v10.
    ... some sort of good cold air intake, new brake lines, new transmission lines, everything that is a wear item in anyway way gets zipped out and replaced... stainless steel brakes from this company about 40 miles north, leaf helpers to stiffen up the back end, new coils in front, new shocks with coilovers in back, firehawk 15" indy 500 series tires, stock hub caps/wheel covers, nice ram hood ornament... oh baby i can feel it...

gonna take forever, but this **** is gonna ROLL!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    here is a **** pic or two -- give them a minute to load... it's not the best scan job i did but i tried to keep the file small so resulution sucks and i can't get brightness/ contrast right with goddamned xp... i'll try to do better, but for now...

... and picture it with some phat race tires, some work, and a new paint job (same color of course, just phatter)...
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    definately a sweet truck :D

Here's what i'd do...

MM6 Component set up front (or the MMC's)
    4 MoMo 6x9's in the ported box
    4 MoMo 8's

and the blue thunder amps :D:D

that'll kick ****!!!

Lots of nostalgic and sentimental value too :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    .... christ i'll be deaf... lol.

gotta get my battle plan set up -- what gets fixed first and all that ****... then plan everything out letter by letter.... this ****'s gonna be "Text book" ya know...
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    .... christ i'll be deaf... lol.

at least you'll go out in style :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    [Bthom, you think 4 6x9's behind the seat ported out with a component set up front and maybe four of the polk 8 " subs downfiring (build a box for behidn the seat to house the 4 6x9's upfiring and the 4 8's downfiring) would be a cool deal? would it make people **** themselves?

and are the zapco reference amps "all that and a bag of chips" ?? or should i stick with more mid grade stuff ?? [/B]

I wouldn't do (4) 6 x 9"s but if you're after loud that should work. I'm not a fan of music behind me, but I'm picky. (4) 8"s would probably be pretty loud. Years ago we had a JL Microsub when it first came out (97?) and it wasn't very loud but it sounded good. We got an 8.2 when that came out and it was pretty loud and ended up putting in (3) 8W6s on a tri- plate and that's what she started hitting shows with. It's almost easier to impress people with 8" subs since they don't expect much from them. We're working on a car with 8"s for subs but won't get back to it untill after CES so in February hopefully we'll have pics. We're counting on it to be pretty loud...

I've never been anything but happy with any Zapco products. At some point (if I ever have the time) I'll switch to our amps, but I'll hate to see them go. All of the Reference amps are out of my Protege since it'll be gone soon, you might find a couple on eBay for cheap (wink, wink).
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    your soundstage might be a little behind you, but it is afterall, a single cab truck, which behind you is only like 5"...
    just cross the mm6s off at 125Hz, build a box for em...and throw 250 watts at em...
    -Cody