tv video settings

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited December 2003 in Electronics
how do i know what to put the settings on? i heard that most people fry their tv's by having them too bright. i dont want to do this and i also dont want to be watching something in colors that its not meant to be. i want it to look how its supposed to not how the setings make it. is there some kind of standard i can set it at or something? how do i know if i have it too bright or if i have the settings in weird amounts?
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    You can order the Video Essentials DVD from the Polk Store. They show patterns and stuff and tell you how to adjust the settings correctly.

I use the THX Opti Mode which can be found in most THX mastered films.

Maurice
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2003
    Options
    thanks! theres just one thing i dont understand...the aspect ratio test with the circle and rectangles. i see the circle and i see the rectangles, but the rectangles lines on the left arent there... do you know how to fix this?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Sounds like your tv is off a hair. Find the horizontal hold on the tv, and move it to the right a little. You may have to get into the tv's "service menu".

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2003
    Options
    does anyone know how to do this? i dont have the manual and the settings are alittle confusing for me, all i found was a tilt button and that didnt work. its a 24" sony vega, the series with the speakers on the side. thanks
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2003
    Options
    It's an overscan issue, not something you can fix via the standard user service menu settings. Overscan should be set at about 3%. When I got my Mits, it was near 10% on the sides. You'll need to get the service codes to go in and fix it.

A good source to do so is the Home Theater Spot.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2003
    Options
    can i post without paying for a membership? am i supposed to be looking for answers in the forum?
  • Fireman99
    Fireman99 Posts: 129
    edited December 2003
    Options
    your welcome to post the board is here to help everyone. Lots of opinions and lots of very smart members on here.
    Dan
    Recever AVR 8000
    Amp PA 4000
    CDR 26
    Mains RTI 150 Bi wired
    Center CSI 40 Bi wired
    Surround FXI 30
    Rear RTI 4
    Sub PSW 140
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    does anyone know how to do this? i dont have the manual and the settings are alittle confusing for me, all i found was a tilt button and that didnt work. its a 24" sony vega, the series with the speakers on the side. thanks

I don't know about Sony, but on my Hitachi, I have to hold the input/exit button on the front panel, then turn the tv on with the remote to access the "secret service menu".