c500.1 fuses

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a c500.1 currently and there are 2x 25a fuses on it, i just realized my vehicle protection fuse is at 30a? what can i do to solve this and is the any requirement my vehicle has to meet to use a bigger vehicle protection fuse?

thanx
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    Uhh...I'm not sure what you mean about a "vehicle protection fuse"?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Uhh...I'm not sure what you mean about a "vehicle protection fuse"?

you sir , just proved your ignorance to me :) put a 50amp fuse where your 30 amp fuse by the battery is
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • delvryboy
    delvryboy Posts: 62
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by swerve
    I have a c500.1 currently and there are 2x 25a fuses on it, i just realized my vehicle protection fuse is at 30a? what can i do to solve this and is the any requirement my vehicle has to meet to use a bigger vehicle protection fuse?

thanx
    i imagine you are talking about the main power wire fuse...it would be recommended that you have a 50A fuse in place...however...you may find that the 30A works fine...fuses are usually designed to alow twice their rating pass thru for up to 5 seconds.....your amp will only draw the full 50 at full power...and on musical applications...that will be almost never

so try it how you have it....if you run into a problem...upgrade the fuse
    Post ****

2003 MECA M2/MR2/DB1 IL State Record Holder/Champion

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    im guessing youre running it to a fuse relay?
    just run your power wire straight to the battery, get a water proof in line fuse holder with a 50A fuse and you should be good to go
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited December 2003
    thanks for all the help im going to go ahead and upgrade to 50a's today.

thanks again

Adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by pete36
    you sir , just proved your ignorance to me :) put a 50amp fuse where your 30 amp fuse by the battery is

Hmmm...well, I had somthing posted already but I deleted it because everyone think's I'm a big meany.

I think I like it that way but I don't want 10 pages of cryers coming in here again flaming for something that never happened.

Anyway, the "Vehicle Protection Fuse" is a mis-nomer when discussing amplifier power leads. Since the battery flows power 1 way, there is no possible way for power to return down the line, transfer through the battery and into the vehicle's electrical system to cause damage. The battery would be damaged and that's it. So calling it a "vehicle protection fuse" can be confusing especially in today's world of high current ignition system and high current electronic fuel delivery systems. The fuse does not actually protect the vehicle. It protects the battery from an over-draw from the amplifier(s) in the event of a ground fault or short circuit. The only protection it offers is the battery will be less likely to blow up.

I asked the question not out of ignorance but in the interest of figuring out which fuse he was actually talking about. I was worried that he may have a wiring issue that needed to be corrected before he could proceed. I did not want to give him advice that may damage his vehicle and cause extra cost and time.

So if I am ignorant for trying to give him the best help that I know how to give then I guess I'm a blithering idiot.

• swerve
    edited December 2003
    are they flaming me? cause i had a legit newb question?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited December 2003
    No, they are flaming me for reasons you are not involved in. They think I am stupid and mean and childish.

• swerve
    edited December 2003
    oh that sucks, thank u everyone for your help
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by pete36

I'm pretty damn sure that Jstas knows more about a great many things than you do and ignorance would definately be an incorrect word to use in a description of him.

While running an amp you should need to replace no factory fuses, you would need to place a new fuse of the proper amperage rating on the power wire running directly from your battery to your amplifier however, and with a peak draw of 50 amps i'd actually reccomend putting in a 40 amp fuse as it's typically a good idea to make sure that your amp can't reach a level of draw that could damage it. Odds are good that unless there is a big problem the 40 amp fuse won't blow. Therefore John's questioning of the wording of the question was justified and far more more intelligent than your half-cocked reply that could very well have young swerve spending money on fuses he doesn't need and possibly cause damage to his vehicle.

They think I am stupid and mean and childish.

personally i think you're intelligent, mature, and fun to talk to jstas, don't let their need to piss and moan cause they're intimidated by you intelligence get you down.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.