wireless headphones

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
edited June 2014 in Headphones
Anyone have suggestions in the under 2 bones catagory ? The wife is looking for a full set, not earbuds, wireless to listen to the sonos while on the treadmill. Mainly to save me from all that girly music.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's
Post edited by tonyb on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    I don't use wireless phones but friends who do swear by Sennheisers, so perhaps their $199 model the RS-160

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671074-REG/Sennheiser_502873_RS_160_Digital_Wireless.html

More will surely chime in. Girly music? Is that like a "girly mann!" (Hans and Franz!)?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    edited February 2013
    Saw those pal, people really have a love/hate relationship with the Senns. Been 30+ years since I had a set of cans around. The wife hates earbuds, but I know she'd dig some nice cans. Wireless performance and audio performance in the same package seems to not start too cheaply though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2013
    I also have been looking for a good set of wireless earphones. In the past they always had static off and on while you walked around.

I gave up but maybe something is out there that is much better now.
  • tonyb
    edited February 2013
    Man, after reading a gazillion reviews for wireless cans, seems the static thing and range is an issue with most. What can be more annoying than that right up against your ears. Looks like I'll have to stick to wired and just get a longer cable. Seems these are the ticket for the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477843-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50_ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    Now you're talking. I bought a pair of those a while ago and I haven't looked back since. They do almost everything "well" and you'd have to pay a LOT more to do a lot better. Though a little heavy and the cushions can make you sweat if you're exercising! Might be a little too "big" for that purpose, but the sound is worth it.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2013
    I listened (and liked) a pair of Parrot Zik's, but they're incredibly expensive ($400 list). However, they didn't have the "hum" that folks often complain about and (if you pair it with an iPhone/iTouch), there are some exceptional sound fields available (not that I'm a fan of such things--but they are impressive).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited February 2013
    I just do not get it. They can wirelessly transmit information to a computer but can't transmit an audio signal to cans without static??

What am I missing?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited February 2013
    Wireless spectrum for this stuff has a lot users in most neighborhoods. Add on to it
    cost concerns, and the result is crappy. And computers have problems too, it just doesn't
    translate as static. Commercial wireless mics are $$$$. It's not that they can't come up with
    a set that works, but the cost of a set would kill sales. Catch-22.
    Let's face it, most of the wireless ranges are far too crowded. And it's not getting any better.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2013
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Wireless spectrum for this stuff has a lot users in most neighborhoods. Add on to it
    cost concerns, and the result is crappy. And computers have problems too, it just doesn't
    translate as static.

Specifically, Bluetooth operates in the unlicensed 2.4/5 GHz band, which is also home to everyone's favorite: WiFi. That's why you see some folks use the (unlicensed) 5.8 GHz or 900 MHz bands, but that doesn't apply to BT.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • po001
    po001 Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    For me I have a pair of wireless Bluetooth Motorola S9 headphones, this are about $60 in stores but I have seen them for as cheap as $20 online. One downfall is that they are bluetooth and will not work with all devices. The only iPod this product works with is the iPod touch.
    Looking at this post, it may be helpful for you:
    http://styleheadphones.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-best-wireless-headphones.html
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Man, after reading a gazillion reviews for wireless cans, seems the static thing and range is an issue with most. What can be more annoying than that right up against your ears. Looks like I'll have to stick to wired and just get a longer cable. Seems these are the ticket for the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477843-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50_ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html

If this is really for the wife while she's on the treadmill, might want to consider something lighter so they don't bounce off her head while she's running. Can't speak to their sound quality but a set of Polk Ultrafit 2000s or something semi-open like that might be more likely to get used. At 2.5 oz they are much lighter than the 10 oz M50s.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • Robert J968
    Robert J968 Posts: 13
    edited June 2014
    Yes I think if she's going to use them on the treadmill, she should go for wireless haedphones that are light weight so that they don't keep falling off. My friend has to workout too and he said that Beats and Jabra are good options. I guess you'll find a lot of them on headphones-4less. com and you can make your pick. Why don't you ask your wife to ask her friends about suggestions. They might know her well and would be able to tell her what she is going to like.