No furniture polish on Polk real wood speakers?

Options
Cuchulain
Cuchulain Posts: 66
edited February 2013 in The Clubhouse
If I remember correctly this is what I read when I got my RTiA7's. Does anyone know why this is? What are the consequences of using it? I kinda like the sheen of this almond glo wood cleaner.
AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
TV: LG 50PS70
DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
MAINS: Polk RTiA7
CENTER: Polk CSiA6
Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
REARS: Polk R1
SUB: Polk PSW 125
Post edited by Cuchulain on

Comments

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Swiffer Duster and micro fiber cloth! No buildup!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited February 2013
    Options
    There is a clear coat finish applied to the vaneer to protect it. Many furniture polishes have chemicals that could damage the finish. So Polk, and even many furniture manufacturers recomend not using any furniture polish.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Looks like several people answered before I finished typing, but here's mine anyway:

Well, I can tell you that the manual does indeed say not to use furniture polish on the speakers. Here's why I think that is: The wood veneer is sealed with a urethane or polyurethane top coat. Most furniture polishes are designed to either penetrate into unsealed wood (like lemon oil), or sit on top of the finish (like wax). The sealed finish on the Polk speakers is intended to be essentially "maintenance-free" except for occasional dusting with a slightly damp cloth. Oil-type furniture polish would, at best, just sit on top of the finish and make it greasy, and at worst could actually damage the finish. Waxes would be less likely to harm the finish, but would tend to build up and produce a cloudy streaky look that would get worse over time.

I don't actually own the speakers in question....
  • Cuchulain
    Cuchulain Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
    TV: LG 50PS70
    DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
    MAINS: Polk RTiA7
    CENTER: Polk CSiA6
    Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
    SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)