are these worth it?

Options
seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited February 2013 in Speakers
i have an opportunity to purchase a pair of technics sb lx70 speakers, i dont know technics but have seen the name on here quite a bit, so was wondering if any one has experience with them and can tell me if they are worth the money, i can get them for 40, i can also get a JVC receiver model number RX-662VBK for 50
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
Post edited by seabeerob213 on

Comments

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Unless you are in need of garage speakers. I would save my money.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • larry777
    larry777 Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    Options
    $40 isn't much to pay for used speakers if they work properly. 12" Woofer, 4" Mid and 2" Tweeter. 8 ohm,,,90db and 200 watts weighing 22 lbs each. I read one review on the net and the guy was happy with the sound of these speakers. Basement,second room or garage setup they would add music to the place on the cheap. I don't know a lot about that JVC so won't comment on that piece. But have a listen and ask yourself, can you get better sound from another unit for $50 ?
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2013
    Options
  • seabeerob213
    edited February 2013
    Options
    i passed on them, even after he said the jvc would be free
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If you could get BOTH for $50 (or LESS) then you'd have yourself a "garage system" but not much more. The speakers are nothing special and the JVC receiver is a very "early" 5 channel surround, with decent power for two channel sound but not worth much on today's market!

The Technics that get some respect around here are the Turntables, and some of the 70s silver face units (but NOT all!).

I have an SA-5570 85 watt x 2 (40lbs) Technics receiver that is quite nice. Good strong, warm to neutral clean sound. Pair that with a 1200MKII turntable and some Polk Monitor 5A or 7A speakers and you've got a nice vintage system!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • seabeerob213
    edited February 2013
    Options
    i live in the barracks and we only have 220V power at the shop so im gonna pass
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    Options
    i live in the barracks and we only have 220V power at the shop so im gonna pass

See if you can find a vintage receiver that has a dual voltage switch. There were a LOT made back then and many are still in pretty good shape!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • seabeerob213
    edited February 2013
    Options
    that would be kick a$$, im afraid with my stuff on transformed power, its only 50Hz instead of 60Hz,
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Technics did make some higher end stuff....don't think much of it was ever made for the US market though. If you ever find any of these models.....get them first them ask around here! lol:cheesygrin:

WD-Technics-AFP10-2.jpg
    Technics-sb-e100-300x273.jpg
    post-31-1304336542.jpg
    post-18359-100004348_1209333046_1304.jpg
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • toyota
    toyota Posts: 1
    Options
    Just a normal speakers not much about it I've got disappointed hoping to get something more powerful
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,699
    Options
    Well . . . . . exactly!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    edited April 20
    Options
    @toyota Kinda like buying a Toyota & stepping on the gas pedal :D Welcome to the forum
    Randy/Maine
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    LOL....anyone notice this is an eleven year old thread??? Mr. @toyota makes an impressive debut :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman