$6000 component set?

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.rainarc.com/component_reference_2way6.htm

They're joking, right? Anyone heard of these?

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    yeah, the rainbow reference speakers are very expensive
    theyre handmade (in Germany I think) and come with a lifetime warranty
    and their RMS rating is only 100 watts, but im sure they can take a lot more than that
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Ya know, even if I was poopin' money Id have a hard time shelling out 6 grand for speakers. Ive heard the $1200 MB Quarts and they dont sound that much better than the $320 Quarts.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    Yeah but dude, those are Rainbow Reference Series!

They are on the level of Wilson Audio for home audio Russ. Very high dollar stuff and very high quality. Exotic materials and such also. I've heard Rainbow components before, not the Reference series but even thier cheap stuff is a treat for the ears! Most of the benefit comes from those crossover networks and the fact that the tweeters have some fancy schmancy cooling system in them.

I don't think I would ever drop 6K on a set of components for a car though. Kinda steep. If I was poopin' money though, I think I'd be able to blow that kinda money...mainly because everyone thinks I'm full of ****! I gotta be worth a gold mine if that is true!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    mainly because everyone thinks I'm full of ****! I gotta be worth a gold mine if that is true!
    lmao
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    if i had six grand flyin outa my arse to blow on anything... i'd buy an old vette :)

.... and fill it with cheap audio that sounded halfway decent.

far as rainbow -- i didn't know they went THAT high up... i know they're a major competitior with focal and and the such, but i had thought this was only on that level... i had no idea they made anything that even remotely surpassed the Utopias - let alone cost 6 g's. goddamn.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited December 2003
    Last time i looked at rainbow their line peaked with the platinums at 2500 msrp. Hell, if i was rich and had money out the **** i wouldn't think twice about dropping that much into a set of components and i'd be smiling like a madman when i wrote the check.
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    theyre POS, read the new Car Audio and Electronics magazine for new test report.

an Alpine set that cost THOUSANDS less beat m.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    How about, instead of just coming in here as a guest and spouting off about the subject, you post a link to the article and offer and educated opinion on the topic at hand? Just claiming they are "POS" and telling everyone to read the magazine is not exactly convincing me of your argument. On top of that, Car Audio and Electronics isn't the best place to get an unbiased opinion. They are corporate whores and thier biased reviews and comparisons are what made me stop subscribing. That and the juvenile way articles were written. It was almost insulting.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2003
    On top of that, Car Audio and Electronics isn't the best place to get an unbiased opinion. They are corporate whores and thier biased reviews

Very true, I decided not to subscribe after stealing a few articles from my friend.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ilikeboyz
    ilikeboyz Posts: 30
    edited December 2003
    How about, instead of just coming in here as a guest and spouting off about the subject, you post a link to the article and offer and educated opinion on the topic at hand? Just claiming they are "POS" and telling everyone to read the magazine is not exactly convincing me of your argument. On top of that, Car Audio and Electronics isn't the best place to get an unbiased opinion. They are corporate whores and thier biased reviews and comparisons are what made me stop subscribing. That and the juvenile way articles were written. It was almost insulting.
    there are no links yet....however they did rate the typeX's above the rainbows....however...they are still expensive...

rainbow's - msrp $5000
    alpine typeX's - $1500 per unit($3000 per set)

either way they are the top performers in all of car audio...and i would hope so considering the price tag;)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    alpine type X's are a whole nother ball game -- they're 3 ways dude... u can't compare 2 and 3 ways... to make a 2 way sound as good as a 3 way you're gonna have to build it an assload better and pay a lot more for it.

compare a 2 way to a 2 way and then we'll talk.
  • delvryboy
    delvryboy Posts: 62
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    alpine type X's are a whole nother ball game -- they're 3 ways dude... u can't compare 2 and 3 ways... to make a 2 way sound as good as a 3 way you're gonna have to build it an assload better and pay a lot more for it.

actually it was the Alpine SPX-Z15M's...which is a 2-way 5.25 set and the Rainbow CS 260.03 2-way 6.5" set...they both scored pretty close to each other...however....the Alpine set uses a 5.25" mid and slightly edged out the Rainbow's...unbelievable considering the Rainbow uses a 6.5" mid

both are remarkable component sets with out of this world prices
    Post ****

2003 MECA M2/MR2/DB1 IL State Record Holder/Champion

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • delvryboy
    delvryboy Posts: 62
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by blueterd
    theyre POS, read the new Car Audio and Electronics magazine for new test report.

an Alpine set that cost THOUSANDS less beat m.
    the rainbow's are by far not POS...that is one of the craziest things i have yet to hear
    Post ****

2003 MECA M2/MR2/DB1 IL State Record Holder/Champion

CarAudioForum
    SoundIllusionsNetwork
    CarAudioTalk
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2003
    I actually prefer 2 ways myself. Ive always felt that 3 ways can get a little screchy on some recordings (mostly metal) at high volumes even with the treble tuned down. However, I recently bought a set of MOMO 6x9 3-ways and have to admit they are awesome! Their tweets are smooth as silk and take very little EQ adjusting at higher volumes. Dare I say that these may be the sweetest pair of 6x9's out there and possibly one of the best coaxials period? Who knows, but at $200 a pair, theyre gonna be hard to beat!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    want a set of 6x9's that'll beat those 6x9's MacLeod? -- well I cannot guarantee it... and I shouldn't say "beat" because I've never compared them... but if you ever have a chance to hear a set of old Polk DB 3 way 6x9's then by all means do so.

They had a funny looking tweeter and midrange (which were changed to a different type/size/whatever when they 'upgraded' to the DX models).

They were also bi-ampable... and I'd venture to say 250 watts per speaker would not have been a difficult load in a decent enclosure.

They slammed, and I mean SLAMMED, the living **** out of my truck.

Had 4 of them in a row in a 4 foot long / 1 foot tall / 9 inch wide box with one partition in the middle and two vent holes at the base of each side.

This was my first "real" car audio venture... and with all of 70-ish watts per speaker, it totally obliterated my ears.

Everyone, and I mean everyone who heard my little standard cab truck thought I had a sub and highs... and in retrospect, recollecting on it... I'd say it sounded about how two small 8" subs would sound... nothing like a "real" sub... but damned close... and sick loud.... sick clear.

I want my truck back.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    .... oh -- and wanna know what was worse? i think they were like $269 a pair -- crutchfield had them for $239 so I talked circuit city down to that price... I can't believe I actually paid retail for something at one point in my life.... UGH I'm disgusted with myslef -- retail!! NEVER!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2003
    I listened to a set in the store when I bought the Momos. They did sound pretty sweet but I thought the Momos were a little warmer and thats the sound I like. I had Infinitys before and they were real bright and drove me crazy! Made Rush sound very tinny and I was afraid the DBs might have the same problem. Couldve just been me though. I may have been distracted by the cool **** look of the MMs.

Either way, I would have loved to hear 4 of them in a regular cab. I bet that would have smoked. Also cool cause its not something every Tom, Dick and Harry was doing. Kudos for originallity!

• geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited December 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge

That's not really true..
    In fact, there are some incredible compromises that are made, in terms of sound quality, when you run a 3 way set compared to a 2 way set...

In fact, when you run multiple speakers in general.

Read this, first.

Multiple speakers are most likely going to end up being installed with varying pathlengths between the drivers, relative to your ears (your listening position).

Further, they are likely going to have different firing angles (on-axis vs. off-axis) compared to your listening location.

Not to mention, you are going to have two crossover points in the mix for a 3 way set, compared to only one, with a 2 way comp set.
    Every crossover point in your system will have inherent phasing and response anomolies with respect to their design compromises across the crossover point, and those anomolies are exacerbated by differences in pathlength to your ear between the two drivers being split via that crossover.

In reality, a 2-way component set that uses speakers that aren't stressed in their intended-use frequency range will always sound superior to a 3-way set of like quality. :cool:

The Rainbow References have long been known to be overrated... they appeal to those who believe sound quality improves as a price tag improves. Great speakers, sure. $6000 speakers... not if you think in relative terms. ;)

Quite a few of the "big boys" actually compare them to the Seas Lotus Reference which come shipped with white gloves to handle them with (lol:D) for around $800. In fact most voice a preference to these.

Alpine has always made great sounding speakers, right down through the budget lines even. I wouldn't try to discredit this magazine test.

Personally, I'm happy to be running the famous Dr. Kurt Mueller's JL XR set in my own ride... for the money, better can't be had. I'd be surprised if they didn't hang tough with the $800 References even.
    Let's talk without EQ in the mix, also. ;)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    I said a few months ago that if I were to "hand pick" a component set and money wasn't an option I'd be picking SEAS drivers. :) finally somebody to back me up...

and MacLeod -- OLD DB's dummy!! lol... the new DB's are a step up from the EXIII's... probably something a smidge less or equivelant to the DX...

the OLD Db's were polk's creme-de-le-creme top of the line, and probably the best coaxial / component line they have ever or will ever make. It's not knocking anything new... just a compliment to the old -- stuff was circa 1998/1999.

The old Db's (hence why I call the new ones "DB Juniors") would and probably still could smoke just about anything on a voice coil (read as "this car could smoke anything else on 4 wheels").

... just wait for the "new" standard cab... *suspense* --- see new thread.