Fixing Pushed in Cone on Woofer????

Options
Pauly
Pauly Posts: 4,519
edited December 2003 in Speakers
My cousin was going to throw away some old Kenwood 12" 3 ways so i picked them up to put in my home office, but on one of the woofers the cone in the middle is pushed in. Is there an effective way to pull it out? Maybe some epoxy with a stick on the end to pull it out???? help

Thanks

Spaz
Life without music would
Post edited by Pauly on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    On the old kenwoods, a little masking / scotch tape should do the trick.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Pauly
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input...i had thought maybe "redneck"(duct) tape but thought it might be a little sticky and leave the adheisive on the speaker.....will try and post the results....

*******Also with the cone being pushed in cause any kind of deteriation in the output of the music?
    Life without music would
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2003
    Options
    use a vacuum but dont let it entirely stick to the cone, and be ready to turn it off fast. i got two woofers cones unstuck that way, someone had kicked them in and they are fine now....no difference in sound however lol just a difference in appearance
  • Pauly
    edited December 2003
    Options
    well when i met my now wife she had just bought a Tri Star Vaccum ...turns out cost here about 2500.00 Yes that is 2500.00. That thing has some major suction (on the carpet that is) so i'm kinda hesitent to try that. these kenwoods are pretty old and dont want to suck the woofer out. Think i'll go the tape route for starters....Thanks for the input though.
    Life without music would
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2003
    Options
    i used the orek floor vacuum, i put my hand over the nosel so i could break the suction if i needed to, a $2500 vacuum? why not spend that on some nice amps or something lol...or maybe a big tv
  • Pauly
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yeah i wish i had that money now. This was when we first met and the only radio i had then was and old GPX boom BOx :) Wow i have come a long way.
    Life without music would
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I have a question. Is it the actual woofer that is broken or just the paper dome in the center? If it is the paper done in the center, it is just a dust cap to keep junk out of the pole piece for the voice coil. It will not necessarily color the music unless it is loose and rattling. Otherwise, it is not a big deal if it is dented.

As for pulling it out, there are a number of things to try. The tape thing is a good way to do it. There is also this tacky gum from 3M that you can get at an art supply store. It is usually used for temporarily tacking something up to a wall. It's a bluish-green, almost teal color. I see alot of drafting houses use it to hang up shematics for drawing blueprints from. It's sticky enough that it will pull the paper out if you pull gently. But peel it away and it will come right off without damaging anything. It leaves no residue behind and can be used over and over again. Just a suggestion.

I don't think epoxy is the best idea though. That has some serious sticking power and the paper may end up soaking it up too and that wouldn't be so great. The vaccum cleaner thing works but like what was said, you HAVE to be VERY careful with it. It can tear the speaker cone or suck the speaker right out of the basket.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Pauly
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Yeah its the center paper part. It jist looks like crap with it pushed in and bugs the hell out of me. I'll give the tape a try if that doesnt work i'll go the 3M Route. Thanks for the input.
    Life without music would
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Jstas, are you talking about 'blu-tack'? If so, great suggestion.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.