kinds of amps

Options
Buster
Buster Posts: 11
edited December 2003 in Speakers
do amps really make a big difference in sound? also how much do there cost? What kind of amp would be good for music and movie watching? There are a lot of kinds. i have looked at some but i don't know what one is a good one. i don't want one that costs a lot of money but i want one that is a good one that makes a difference.
Post edited by Buster on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2003
    Options
    It depends on the price range. Higher class amps will sound better than cheaper amps because of better components used inside. It's quite difficult to tell the difference between good amps that cost the same.

The ideal amp shouldn't add anything to the sound and just amplify any given signal. A change in pre amp is usually more audible than a change in amp. That's staying within a certain price range of course.

Are you talking about seperate amps for movies and music or a single amp for both? For movies, you should check out Rotel, NAD, AMC, etc. I prefer tubes for music. If you're more serious about music, use a 2 channel amp for the main speakers and run the rest off your receiver.

Maurice
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Buster,

for reasonably priced amps.. i'd check out Adcom. esp used ones.. can be had for a really good price on places like ebay. they are solid, heavy and high current. You can also go the route of mono block amps.. whereby each mono block only amplifies each individual channel. the reasoning behind this is that if one channel needs more power than another channel. it will not hinder the other channels.. each channel maintains it's current as needed. going the route of mono blocks can be more expensive. I use a two channel amp for my front L&R, and mono blocks for all the other channels.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Buster
    Buster Posts: 11
    edited December 2003
    Options
    what is a good web site to look at good quality amps. iam goin to look at ebay but i was woundering what other sites there were on good amps to look at and read up about.
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    Options
    audio advisor

Outlaw audio

for used stuff.. audiogon

for cheap low priced amps.. with a very limited selection though
    vanns.com

amc

good place with a big selection
    onecall.com

that should get you started..

enjoy, Al
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited December 2003
    Options
    www.audiogon.com for NEW and used!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2003
    Options
    There is a place in PA called the Stereo Trading Outlet.

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.storefront

He has both. Not the quantity of other sites, but some pretty decent stuff
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited December 2003
    Options
    dangerboy,

I had a question on how do you get a ht sound if all you have are seprate amps or did you not list a processor?
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • danger boy
    edited December 2003
    Options
    warviper,

I use a AVR, (audio/video receiver). I use the pre outs from there.. to the external amps... it's not quiet the same as going total seperates. with a pre/pro but it's not to bad. The external amps sound better than the amps in the receiver.