profile amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
are profile amps good sounding amps?couse they can got some power and there cheap
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited December 2003
    oh sorry i forgot to ask about us acoustic amps any1 know how good they are?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Profile amps aint half bad. Theyre an entry level amp but have some real good specs. You should go give them a test listen at Circuit City and see what ya think.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    ok thanks for the info ill listin to them when i go.but what about us acoustic amps
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2003
    a good rule of thumb for amps is - you get what you pay for. crutchfield lists a 65Wx2 us acoustics as just over half the price of a 65Wx2 profile. a us acoustics 150Wx2 is $150; a 150Wx2 rockford amp is $450. now, i've never heard a us acoustics amp before, but judging from this - stay away; but, ask around b4 a final decision. btw, don't confuse 'us amps' with 'us acoustics' - they're very different companies.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2003
    US Acoustics seems to be a dark horse in the audio industry, no one seems to know about them, theyre very cheap, and have a 3 yr warranty...ive seen them in crutchfield for a few years now, and im not sure what to thnk about them
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    I would agree to stay away from US Acoustic. Ive heard Profile in some systems and at CC and I think they sound pretty good. As good if not better than any entry level amp out there. And for the price you cant go wrong.

I would say to stick with a sure thing and go with Profile.

Coustic is another good amp for the money. You can get a 4 channel for around $240 or so with 2 channels starting around $150. They are a very good amp and super well built. Ive got one that is 13 years old and it still works fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    A good rule of thumb when considering amps is to ignore the advice that you get what you pay for. You should look at the specs of the amplifier. You will see that Profile amps will compete with some of the mid-level equipment but are priced with low end stuff. This is not because they are cheap. They are far from it. Profile has been around a long time and they do more than just manufacture Profile equipment. They can cut costs and pass it onto the consumer because they have established, high-volume production capabilities. They have been churning out good equipment for an affordable price for many years. They are far from the best but still, light years ahead of the worst out there. For a novice in thej hobby, Profile amps are very good start. Affordable and durable and IMO, good looks are what make them a solid buy. Many people I know who started using Profile equipment are still using the stuff they originally bought. I have 3 pieces of Profile equipment that still run strong after 6-8 years of ownership. They are also good, clean power that you can get quickly and cheaply.

Going by price alone is just going to limit your choices. There is high-dollar stuff out there that just sounds like total crap and there is low-dollar stuff out there that is totally freaking spectacular! If you judged by price with an elitist attitude, you'd miss alot of good equipment and probably spend way too much on over-rated equipment. A perfect example is Polk Audio. They offer incredible speakers at a very afordable price. If I took the same view of Polk Audio that some do about Profile, I would have totally missed the audio gems that Polk produces. So don't shoot yourself in the foot by taking the elitist attitude and judging by dollar signs.

Then again, a fool and his money are soon parted.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2003
    in defense of the "profile isn't a bad company just because its price tag is low" -- i give exhibit A... my first amp i ever bought -- 179 bucks on sale at Radio Shack, specs at 65 x 4 / 200 x 2 -- turns out its around 73 x 4 / 215 x 2 ... and in recent time i've found out that for the last two years of radio shack's amp production, Mitek actually built the damn things, whereas Pioneer had made the previous models. ... still works... like a champ.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2003
    i'll have to yield to jstas on the advice matter - he's been doing this a lot longer than i have. i was simply basing my statement on my personal experience - hence my (hopefully still good) advice to ask around.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    cool thx for all the info guys i think im goin to go with the profile
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2003
    yeah...Look at pyramid specs...they look pretty snazzy too....

If you buy profile..just dont expect wonders with it. A lot of folks buy inexpensive amps and then get dissapointed with them. As long as you know what you bought....it should be ok!

bte PBD...pioneer used to make those "optimus" amps...probably why its not a bad amp?:D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2003
    Gee, you must have missed this part of PBD's post.
    Mitek actually built the damn things, whereas Pioneer had made the previous models
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited December 2003
    i have profile, can't complain. And for the price they perform better then what I expected. My advice would be to listen to all the old timers (just going by post #'s, no need to get personal), they know what they are talking about. Peace.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ilikeboyz
    ilikeboyz Posts: 30
    edited December 2003
    i have used profile amps in the past...and unlike the optimus amp mentioned above...i am not to fond of the reliabilty

i have heard many agood review of the usx amps...especially those made by Zed audio
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    I take it Jstas..you are gonna pull out every little point ...that I might actually double post? hmmm...at least I knew Pio used to make thier amps....

sorry vinnie..Hope i did not upset you with my last post...Jstas has poitned out I was a bad boy...I am again sorry...:p
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003
    it's all good thomas... i think John's just a little irked at some of the other threads... a couple moronic people with bad attitudes can make an otherwise pleasant fellow a little itchy... myself included. i tend to not be nearly as helpful or thorough in my postings when i'm berated by jerks in other threads...

anywho ...

US Acoustics just hasn't got the tip of my hat because they claim such high numbers yet their construction and fuse ratings would dictate that those numbers were IMPOSSIBLE even with 100% efficiency (which is also impossible -- 85 - 90 is GREAT for a class D.... dont expect a 2 channel AB to do that).

Pyramid is the same way -- they're even "hokey-er" with tiny fuses and huge power ratings...

Profile seems to be more "reasonably" spec'ed and stuff. more truthful... and that's kinda what sets them apart.

it's not the end all be all of amps... but its probably not gonna break on the kid, and it'll sound respectable... and that is really about all you can ask from a starter amp. if it outperforms that base standard then hell it may be something the guy uses for years to come.

anywho -- how's the Tahoe Thomas ??? u get that thing done yet ? and what'd you do about the sub(s) ? the solo 8's in the side walls like u were sayin or what ???
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    actually vinnie... got a Autotek SX2200 to replace the crapy rf 401s in the Tahoe..gonna re do the center console and rear box..and think i'm gonna get some IDQ8's or 10's for the new boxes...should do much better.
    Doors are all matted and "back"area....the Diamond hexes knock pretty hard right now ....Hopefully by years end I'll have her done and some better pics to go with her

As far as the other posts go...I hear ya man! Dont know where those idiots came from....but somehow...I got blamed for it?????

but Ya know...Competition is good for the soul!

and btw...congrats on your test man!!!:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited December 2003

one Q --- you're redoing the center console... now is that where you built your sub enclosure ?? or did you just like throw processing equipment and stuff in there? i had thought u were putting the subs in the back walls or something to that effect.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    vinnie..On the 2002 tahoe...the part of the consosle that actually connects to the dash...holds a cassette player and cubbie.... I took that out and built/will re build - it holds my sub and my DVD player... The current piece i made was kinda done in a rush for our trip in early Aug....pics at http://members.cardomain.com/rascal2307

oh...be sure to read the intro....I found it to be quite funny...though I dont think many others will..

and the pics are half /azz too...
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    looks great, like the intro
    how good are those kickers?
    was there a sub already(stock)?
    if not, how did you come across the built-in grill for the sub in the back?
    what was the 401S running?
    why didnt you like it?
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited December 2003
    The Solo's are ok...just not verry effecient for the amount of power I have....

The Tahoe came with stock sub in back...thus the nice grill- I modified the existing box....but i'm gonna make a new one..I"m gonna use IDQ 8's or 10's....wich will not only improve the sq...but they are a lot more sensitive subs

almost forgot. The 401s was running the 2 kicker subs (8ohms ea)...and not very well to tell ya the truth! Amp has no balls. My I put my punch 40iDSM on it...and wow what a diff!

I even hooked up a single 10" jl sub...and the 401 did nothing for it like the 40iDSM did. So...Off it goes...
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2003
    i like rf, but im not fond of their punch series, they have no balls, just like you said
    the greatest amp ive ever owned, and still do, is the rockford power 500.2, its like a 99ish model
    rated at 500, puts outs 830something
    i love that amp to death, its powering my mm6s, i got 2 more 550S's, to run my 2 subs, theyre the newer version of the 500.2, they both put out 575ish
    good luck with the tahoe though
    everything looks really great!
    -Cody