Tried some Bostons today

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I went to Tweeter today and gave a listen to some soeakers. I brought my favorite test cd and using the same amp I have (Alpine V Power 40x4) tried out some Boston Acoustics. I also listened to JL Audios top of the line and MB Quarts Reference (mid level) set. Man The Bostons sucked! I even tried their $900 set and they couldnt hold a candle to MB's sophomore offering. JL Audios set was ok but at $380 a pair I didnt think they were as good as they should be and no somparison to the $320 MB's.

Although I was expecting the Bostons to be better my real suprise came when I started messing with the amps. I had my trusty Dream Theater CD plugged in and had the Alpine amp running the MB Quart Reference 6.5's. Then I switched to the Alpine V12 amp and it wasnt much different. Same with the Kenwood Excelon or the Kicker, although the Kicker was louder. Then I fired up the JL Audio 300/4. Man! Ive got to have one!!! This thing sounded awesome!! It wasnt as loud as the Kicker but was so much sweeter sounding. It made the guitart sound heavy as hell and the drums you could feel in your gut. It had a much warmer sound and feel to it.

This was the first time Id ever heard the hi end JL amps and was pleasently suprised. I have been planning on eventually upgrading to a Precision Power or Xtant amp but now Im seriously thinking about getting this JL.

If you guys have never heard one of these things, I highly recommend grabbing up your favorite test cd and heading to your local dealer. Maybe its just my imagination but this is possibly one of the best sounding thing Ive heard for under $500!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2003
    i've never heard boston's stuff, but there seems to be a general agreement that they're premium product. as is mb quart's q-line and premum line. be very careful though with picking stuff just based on a soundroom. listening there will help you weed out the real crap, but to get to know the difference between two similar speakers, you just have to listen to them in a car. see if the shop will pop them in and let you have a listen - you may be pleasantly surprised (then crushed when you find out the best-sounding stuff is ridiculously expensive). have fun, and as always, ask around.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    A very good point. However I was just really suprised that the Bostons werent as good as JL's speakers and that MB's $320 set was better than Bostons $1000 set. Maybe they will sound better in a car door when matched with the acoustics of a hard dash and everything else, but in the sound room, they aint all that.

Of course this is all subjective and you may hear something completley different than me. Plus a lot depends on what music you listen to and how you like it.

And sound room or not, I just fell in love with the JL 300/4 Slash series amp. I was originally going to upgrade my speakers first but I think Im gonna have to get me one of these babies. Im also intrigued by JL's E series amps. Especially the 6 channel for $400. They are supposed to have the same SQ as the more expensive Slash amps but are without the regulatd circuitry (R.I.P.S.). Ill have to give em a listen.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2003
    i was actually going to get a 300/4, till i moved shops and totally switched around my setup. on sq, a few points: the 300/4 has a sound-to-noise of >108.5 dB and a THD of <0.03%. the e6450 drops to a S/N of >104 dB (presumably at a 4-ohm load) and a THD of <0.08%. while the difference may not sound like a lot, distortion and noise adds up fast in a system. as a side note, keep in mind the 300/4 puts out 75Wx4@4 ohms, the e6450 only 45Wx6@4 ohms, rising to 75Wx6@2 ohms. depending on what you're planning on running, this may not be enough. bummer on the bostons, though. i'd expect better for that price.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2003
    Numbers dont tell the whole story though. Like I said in another post, Xtant has a THD of 1% and a SNR of 100 db. Those are some pretty lazy numbers but Xtant is routinely in the winners circle at SQ competitions and I think they are about the best sounding amp around (and they had better be for $1000).

I tried to give the E amp a listen at the local shop but of course they didnt have any hooked up. The guy promised me the E has the same level of SQ as the Slash. The only difference is the regulation. Salesmen wouldnt lie now would they?! LOL
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2003
    too true on the numbers game - there is still more than the specs. and of course a salesman wouldn't lie! who would ever think such a thing?