questions

Options
i4gotmyid
i4gotmyid Posts: 173
edited December 2003 in Speakers
Does anyone know the crossover point for the sda srs 2.3 or crs+? I made a homemade center out of my rta11 and it seems to sound as if the crossover point is lower (more tweeter, less woofer) than the crs or the srs 2.3. Now it could be the box itself creating unwanted resonance or some other issue, but just wanted to verify. Also does anyone know the ohm impedence of the mw6503 and mw6510? I was going to try something else (its a secret for now...and it will remain a secret unless it works well)
Post edited by i4gotmyid on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2003
    Options
    2nd order Butterworth, impedance compensated at 2Khz.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

What does impedance compensated for mean at 2Khz? Does that mean the resister + capacitor impedance = 8 Ohm at 2Khz?
    Originally posted by i4gotmyid

I was going to try something else (its a secret for now...and it will remain a secret unless it works well)

ahhh please do tell.... we can only help:rolleyes:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

I think it means that to compensate for the *particular* impedance curve of the driver (large peaks), certain characteristics of the coil must be "compensated for" in order to attain the crossover frequency desired. You can't just run a "cross-over calculator" assuming an "8 ohm" driver, and plug in any old driver and get a nice cross at the desired frequency.

The compensation is achieved by adding electrical components across the driver coil so that to the crossover network the impedance of the driver 'looks' like the resistive load you assumed when you designed the crossover.

Or something like that.

So, if you put in a different driver that has a different impedance curve, then you could indeed get a different electrical crossover frequency for that driver. This is one reason that "off the shelf" crossovers are always of questionable value. Compensation is in my opinion "higher level" crossover design. If a cross-over calculator is Algebra 1, compensation is Diffy Q.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette

Or something like that.

Thats what I thought Bro!

Comes down to real and imaginary components to the equation a+bj are as close to a match as possible.

1/4Twin

WTF did I just type????
    ***WAREMTAE***